Views
Helpful
Replies

New Server Issue

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Scenario:

Hardware is an HP DL140 G3 with a single Xeon 5140 (2.33 Ghz) and 4 GB of RAM. Server OS is Windows 2008 Standard SP1 with all current hotfixes. The server is not a member of any domain. No virus scanning is installed (yet).

Full new LMS 3.2 installation on one server. Local authentication. The only 3rd party applications installed are Firefox (3.0.15), Java (1.6.0_11), Adobe Reader 9.2, and the HP Server Management software.. Swap file size override applied (min 2048 MB, max 4096 MB). AccessingCiscoWorks via browser on the server itself. The LMS installation is setup to use the (default) self-signed certificate. I imported the certificate into Firefox and now trust the server (server name = CiscoWorks) as a root CA.

Symptoms:

Whether I go to the server by it's local servername (e.g., http://CiscoWorks:1741) or its IP address (http://10.10.48.14:1741) and present my credentials (I do get the login servlet), Firefox goes into a resolution loop and hangs:

"Redirect Loop

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete."

I must be doing something basic wrong but I can't figure it out. Symptom is the same when acccessing via a remote client.

A copy of my installation log is attached.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is my bug, CSCtb17186.

Symptom: After entering credentials into the login screen of CiscoWorks LAN Management Solution, an error is thrown indicated that redirection has failed.  Alternatively, the user may be redirected forever.  Firefox may report:

The page isn't redirecting properly

Conditions: This is most readily seen with LMS 3.2 running on Windows 2008 servers.  However, the problem can affect any version of LMS running on Windows if cookies are disabled for the internal SYSTEM user on the LMS server.  One known way to disable cookies for this user is by using the Internet Explorer Admin KIT (IEAK).

Workaround: First, make sure the server is running a supported configuration.  Right now, that means IE 6.0 or 7.0.  If LMS is installed on Windows 2008, make sure the server is running SP1 and NOT SP2.  If the problem persists, open regedit.exe, and create or modify the following registry key DWORDs:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1A10 : DWORD : 0

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\1\1A10 : DWORD : 0

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\2\1A10 : DWORD : 1

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\3\1A10 : DWORD : 1

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\4\1A10 : DWORD : 3

Then restart CiscoWorks Daemon Manager.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is my bug, CSCtb17186.

Symptom: After entering credentials into the login screen of CiscoWorks LAN Management Solution, an error is thrown indicated that redirection has failed.  Alternatively, the user may be redirected forever.  Firefox may report:

The page isn't redirecting properly

Conditions: This is most readily seen with LMS 3.2 running on Windows 2008 servers.  However, the problem can affect any version of LMS running on Windows if cookies are disabled for the internal SYSTEM user on the LMS server.  One known way to disable cookies for this user is by using the Internet Explorer Admin KIT (IEAK).

Workaround: First, make sure the server is running a supported configuration.  Right now, that means IE 6.0 or 7.0.  If LMS is installed on Windows 2008, make sure the server is running SP1 and NOT SP2.  If the problem persists, open regedit.exe, and create or modify the following registry key DWORDs:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1A10 : DWORD : 0

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\1\1A10 : DWORD : 0

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\2\1A10 : DWORD : 1

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\3\1A10 : DWORD : 1

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\4\1A10 : DWORD : 3

Then restart CiscoWorks Daemon Manager.

That did the trick.I'd never have found that in a thousand hours of poking at it. NetPro CSC gets me the answer in less than 5 minutes!

Thanks a lot, Joe!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco