Views
Helpful
Replies

Traffic analyzer

billetj09
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a network composed of multiple 3750 switches and with on exit to the internet. I would like to be able to monitor the traffic on that port to know what kind of traffic is getting out of my LAN.

I am so looking for some tool, but usually I am just getting Bandwidth usage tools.

Any idea ?

Thank you

JB

6 Replies 6

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

Do you need bandwidth analyzer tools or application analyzer tools ?? If it is for bandwidth, you can use any of the MRTG tools to get info on present & past bandwidths used.. if you need application reports, you need to look at netflow based tools !! you need to export the netflow data to a reporter and map the application usage.. If you have 6500's , 7600's etc, you can have the Network Analyser Module (NAM) to have your reports configured. Cisco has a "Netflow collection engine" which you can look at, for collecting and reporting netflow activities.

Hope this helps..

Raj

Hi,

At the moment I am using cacti to graph the amount of bandwith. But it is too general for me. I need on some port to be able to know what kind of traffic is going through, so I assume I have to look more around the application reports.

I would like to be able to get some reports from a 3750G-24TS.

Based on your repy, I have lokked for Netflow tools. But all I've found is that netflow is not supported by 3750 swithces, and that is precisely where I need it.

Any idea ?

Thank you

Hi JB

Unfortunately, Netflow is not supported on 3750 due to hardware limitations. How is your network setup ? Dont you have a router on the external which pushes your traffic out, or any other core switches on the network ? Netflow is normally configured on the egress side of your network (outside router)... try looking into manageengine. They have really good netflow products...

Hope this helps.. all the best..

Raj

Hi,

Thank you for your advices. I am looking to what you've said. We have 2 4506 where maybe I could do something. For the routers at the end of our network, I unfortnately can not have the hand on them to setup such system. Let see.

Thanks again.

JB

Hi Jean

4500's can support netflow daughter cards.. but it depends on the supervisor modules...

SUP IV & SUP V support netflow daughter card, but you need to purchase the hardware additionally..

SUP V - 10 GE have netflow daughter cards inbuilt which you can use for netflow services..

You anyway need a netflow reporter to collect netflow logs exported from your 4500's... as told, you can try various collector options discussed above..

Hope this helps.. if you think you have got your answer, can you please mark the case as solved, which could help others having similar queries. you can rate replies if found useful..

Thanks .. All the best..

Raj

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: