cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

64 bit VPN Client

WilkersonGR
Level 1
Level 1

I hope someone can help me understand the VPN Client/AnyConnect client situation.  I have a Windows 7 64 OS.  I have several (5+) clients that use various versions of the Cicso VPN (I don’t know what version, and really don’t care; as long as it works).  I had absolutely no trouble with the XP based client.  One of my clients just gave me the AnyConnect client (apparently the only Cisco client that will work with 64bit Windows 7).  I seem to have no luck configuring (pcf files), or connecting to any of my client with this version.  Am I missing something?  Where to the pcf files come into play?   So far, this has been a pretty frustrating experience.

Thanks,

Greg Wilkerson

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

The last Shrew stable release will support Windows 7 64 bits. It just goes out !

http://www.shrew.net/download/vpn

Regards,

View solution in original post

keith-davis
Level 1
Level 1

Greg,

The Anyconnect is the only supported 64 bit client from Cisco that I know of.  The VPN server is important because the 3000 line does not support 64 bit clients.  The ASA 55xx line supports 64 bit IPSec and SSL type connections.

Keith

tprendergast
Level 3
Level 3

Greg,

Usually, the AnyConnect client gets the profile information at connection-time from the ASA. You enter your VPN gateway address or dns name, click connect, and it will prompt you for login crendentials. Once you enter those, the ASA will send down the tunnel group, acls, and other parameters. The old ".pcf" format only applies to the legacy IPSEC clients.

The "anyconnect" client profile is basically an XML file containing servers to connect to and client features to enable/disable. You can read about that here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/vpn_client/anyconnect/anyconnect24/administration/guide/ac03features.html#wp1064149

Cheers,

Tim

6 Replies 6

busterswt
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Greg,

Cisco does not yet have a 64-bit IPSec client, and I'm not sure they ever will. The AnyConnect client will require some additional configuration changes to the firewall as well as an upgrade of code to 8.x if you're not already there.

The ASA comes with 2 AnyConnect licenses; any additional users and you will have to purchase more licenses from Cisco.

Shrew Soft has a (free) IPSec client that works with 64-bit Windows Vista and Windows 7. It's a little tricky to setup, and may not be as stable as the Cisco client (or supported), but it might be worth a shot. The latest development release is the one you would need to install. The 'stable' release does not support 64-bit and would likely blue screen your PC.

Good luck!

James

The last Shrew stable release will support Windows 7 64 bits. It just goes out !

http://www.shrew.net/download/vpn

Regards,

keith-davis
Level 1
Level 1

Greg,

The Anyconnect is the only supported 64 bit client from Cisco that I know of.  The VPN server is important because the 3000 line does not support 64 bit clients.  The ASA 55xx line supports 64 bit IPSec and SSL type connections.

Keith

tprendergast
Level 3
Level 3

Greg,

Usually, the AnyConnect client gets the profile information at connection-time from the ASA. You enter your VPN gateway address or dns name, click connect, and it will prompt you for login crendentials. Once you enter those, the ASA will send down the tunnel group, acls, and other parameters. The old ".pcf" format only applies to the legacy IPSEC clients.

The "anyconnect" client profile is basically an XML file containing servers to connect to and client features to enable/disable. You can read about that here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/vpn_client/anyconnect/anyconnect24/administration/guide/ac03features.html#wp1064149

Cheers,

Tim

Thanks to all who replied.  Very good information.  I ended up going with the ShrewSoft VPN Client.  It works (required), imports PCF files (required).  I am happy about that.  I was not looking forward to reloading with a 32-bit OS.

Many thanks,

Greg Wilkerson

Phillip Remaker
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

February 18, 2010
Due to popular demand, the Cisco VPN Client v5.0.7 open beta is now available!
In addition to serving as a general maintenance release, the Cisco VPN Client 5.0.7 beta is compatible with Windows 7 & Windows Vista 64-bit environments. 
A 64-bit specific compatible image is available for installation on these platforms.

Please have communicate feedback (both positive and problems) to cvc-beta@cisco.com.

Key Capabilities available for Beta Testing:
New Platform support – Windows 7 & Windows Vista 64-bit platform compatibility
Software Access: http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/Redirect.x?mdfid=281940730 (under 5.BETA)
Software is available for download by any customer with a Cisco.com SMARTnet™ enabled login.
Release Notes will be available next week via a link once the download image is selected.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: