cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP subnet size

dnoc43
Level 1
Level 1

I am peered with two ISPs at our headquarters.  I am advertising a /22 to both ISPs.  Is there a minimum subnet size that you can advertise to an ISP?  At one point I though you could only advertise a /22 or larger.  Is this dependant on the ISP? 

5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The longest mask I've seen is /24

The shortest mask I've seen in AT&T's looking glass has been /16

I suggest contacting your ISP to verify what are they willing to accept

Regards

Edison.

tprendergast
Level 3
Level 3

It varies with each ISP, as they set their own rules for what length prefix customers can advertise. I've seen most ISPs permit /24 as the smallest block they will let you advertise up. While you may only be able to get a /22 from ARIN (or the appropriate numbers authority), you can advertise as little as a /24.

Hope that helps.

Tim

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Daniel,

/24 is the most specific route that  can be advertised

for example see (for Europe the RIR is RIPE)

it is true that mininum prefix advertisable on the internet is /24

see

http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ripe-484.html

this is the current IPv4 assigment policy at RIPE RIR.

>> The minimum size of a sub-allocation is /24. This is the smallest prefix length that can be reverse delegated and allows for a reasonable number of small assignments to be made by a downstream network operator.

You can take advantage of this to try to influence return paths for specific subnets within your own block

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Today, /24 is the minimum allowed by most ISP.

However, it depends on your ISP BGP peering policy. If you have a /22, they may not allow you to break them to /24. They may require you to advertise aggregated.

Do take note also of security regarding advertising and receiving routes in BGP peering.

1. If you are not a transit, make sure you don't advertise routes received from ISP-A to ISP-B (vice versa).

2. Sometimes, your ISP can make mistakes. They may accidentally advertise to you chunks of /30 from their BB network. I see this happens. You can put a policy in your router not to receive longer than /24 (your mileage may vary).

Rick Morris
Level 6
Level 6

/24 is the smallest any ISP will accept from my past experience.  I have had to break up a /22 into /24's to announce to my carrier who then summarized my announcement back to the /22 to the peers.  This is something that will need to be discussed with them in reference to their BGP policy.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card