cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ironport delivering mails directly to mailboxes?

maldonado.m
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have a doubt about how IronPort works. Is it posible to use IronPort to deliver mails directly to user's mailboxes or does it necesaraly need an MTA?

I ask this question because, mailboxes are on a different machine than the MAT and we were wondering if it was posible to skip the MTA and send mails directly to the mailboxes machine.

Thank you.

4 Replies 4

The simple answer is no.

The longer (but still very much shorten) is

There are many mailboxes format out there even just unix platform.

mbox
maildir
maildir+

(not to mention lotus notes, ms exchange etc)

It is _only_ your backend MTA knows how to deliver to these format.
ironport will not..and it is not in the same box..Ironport is external to your backend server.

Ironport is mail store independent appliance..

maldonado.m
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for your response.

Now we have another doubt. Is it possible to deliver mail (from our internal domain, example.com) to the internet directly without having to pass through our MTA first?

Our current configuration is similar to this:

mail client (within our network) -> Ironport -> MAT -> delivers to Internet

This is our doubt:

mail client (within our network) -> Ironport -> delivers to Internet

Thank you again.

Donald Nash
Level 3
Level 3

mail client (within our network) -> Ironport -> delivers to Internet.

Yes, you can do that. You would use a private listener on your IronPort appliance and configure your mail clients to use it instead of your MTA. AsyncOS supports SMTP authentication, so if you're currently requiring SMTP authentication on your MTA then you could continue to do so after switching to the IronPort. AsyncOS can authenticate against an LDAP directory, or it can authenticate against another SMTP server that supports authentication, essentially forwarding the authentication transaction (but not any e-mail), over to the other server.

maldonado.m
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you,

I am trying to configure a forward smpt authentication. How can I test it or see if it is working OK.

Currently, users do not authenticate when sending mail, and we don't have an LDAP or AD server.

Thank you again.