Migration of AP to LAP with WLC2112-K9

Unanswered Question
Dec 10th, 2009

Hi !

I have 7 APs model AIR-AP1231G-A-K9 which  I will have to migrate to LAP, the controller to be
used is WLC2112-K9.

Currently  every APs handle 3 SSID's,

1.- Internal user   [VLAN20]   192.168.0.X
2.- for voice     [VLAN2]         172.16.1.X (7920 IP phones)
3.- Guest   [VLAN 21]        10.2.1.X

I'm checking what are the best of way of defining the VLANs in the WLC and I notice that I need
additional IP addresses for assigning  in every dynamic interface

The controller will have  IP address 192.168.1.228 (managment interface)

tha LAPs will have IP address  192.168.1.X ( fixed or DHCP  I'm not sure... recommendation ???)

My idea is the next:

1.-Defined  3 dynamic interfaces,  assign the VLAN identifier 20, 2 and 21

2.-For dynamic interface 1 and 2 assign port number 1 and for dynamic interface 3 guest port number 2.

it would be better to assign one port for every dynamic interface?????

3.- Defined 3 WLAN IDs an then associate the dynamic interface

ID 1 with SSID for internal user 

ID 2  with SSID for Voice (ip phones)
   ID 3 with SSID for Guests

Can any of you give some ideas in order to correct or improve what I need to do?

Regards,

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
ehlers.kevin Thu, 12/10/2009 - 11:38

Do the 2100s support etherchannels (lag)?  If so, it'd be easier to give the 2100 a trunked etherchannel.

Static ip addresses for APs is nice for monitoring, but it's not necessary.  Our dhcp servers are setup to always give the same ip address to our APs when/if they dhcp.

The dynamic ip address is mainly used for dhcp-relaying.  So you'll see that as the dhcp-relay agent in your dhcp logs.

Assigning 1 interface per wlan is the normal way.  You can get fancy and use a single SSID with AAA Override and have a radius server dynamically assign each user to a specific vlan/interface.  But I don't know if you want that headache.  :-)

-Kevin

Actions

This Discussion