Views
Helpful
Replies

Looking for IOS performance monitoring guides

rstevek
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Are there any guides on the Cisco support site which deal specifically with monitoring performance on LAN switches running IOS?

There are a lot of different commands to show things like interface counters, CPU utilization, etc.  I'm not trying to troubleshoot any specific issue.  More, I'm trying to get a better idea of where to begin when I'm dealing with a "the network is slow!" issue and I want to examine a switch.  I've looked through the "Configure," "Troubleshoot," "Maintain and Operate" areas; there are many documents that touch on these commands but I haven't found any that focus on monitoring and gauging performance.

Any help of suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

- Steve

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

There isn't a guide as each switch platform have different ASICs and services.

The best way is to become familiar with the documentation for the release you are running.

Commands can be added or removed between IOS releases and that information can be contained in the documentation for that release

or within the Release Notes.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

More, I'm trying to get a better idea of where to begin when I'm dealing with a "the network is slow!" issue and I want to examine a switch.

There isn't any cheat sheet on the web that will help you on determining a 'network slow' issue. A lot of factors come into play and what you've done, are the key steps for isolating the problem at the switch. You also need to take into account the application and the ports the application is using and the data flow. It's very rare to receive a call the network is slow where the source and destination reside in the same switch.

Thus, you virtually need to map out the traffic from source to destination to determine where the slowness is presented. 'show interface' will provide all the needed information (packet drops and throughtput) and you must determine if those values look normal or abnormal so one thing you can do now, it is to profile your network when everything is working fine.

Regards

Edison

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.  I may have been unclear.  I'm not looking for a troubleshooting cheat sheet.  What I was wondering if there was a guide that aggregates all of the IOS "show" commands that have to do with monitoring and performance.  For instance, "show interface status" is more of a general status command, but "show interface counters" is more of a monitoring/performance command.

Thanks,

- Steve

There isn't a guide as each switch platform have different ASICs and services.

The best way is to become familiar with the documentation for the release you are running.

Commands can be added or removed between IOS releases and that information can be contained in the documentation for that release

or within the Release Notes.

OK.  Thanks for clearing that up!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card