cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Rack Servers

CiscoFAQs
Level 1
Level 1

How are the latest server technologies supported on the C-series? Are the Rack Servers separate or part of the Cisco UCS system?

8 Replies 8

stechamb
Level 1
Level 1

C-series won't be managed by UCSM until 2010.  Not sure what you mean by "latest server technologies", but everything in UCS is pretty much cutting edge.

I'm setting up C-series rack-mount UCS integration for a client. Need to  verify if C210 M1 & C250 M1 are fully supported to be managed under  UCSM. I managed to upgrade BIOS, CIMC firmware, and LOM to the latest in hopes that UCSM will simply discover the rack-mounts and place them under the Rack-Mounts -> Servers, but no luck so far.  IF these servers ARE supported, am I missing anything in the integration setup steps? I followed the best practices for setting this up, including 2 FEXs for KVM/mgmt traffic and Qlogic CNAs for data traffic to fabric interconnects.

From C210M1.pdf (Service & Installation Guide, APPENDIX D: Upgrading a Server Earlier Than Release 1.2(2) for Cisco UCS Integration":

"Note: The server must be a Generation M2 (or later) server."

If this is TRUE, I'm in big trouble for not catching this earlier...  And what's different/missing in C210 & C250 M1 rack-mounts (gen 1) that prevents them from being integrated into UCSM?  Any future plans on lifting this restriction?

Randy,

Thought the documentation mentions only M2, the M1 are supported to be integrated into UCSM also.  The main difference between M1 & M2 servers is M2 utilize the Intel Westmere series of processors. The firmware is identical on both platforms for the most part.

There were some discussions regarding support for the Palo PCIe card (Virtualise Interface Card) for M1 rack servers, which is still being discussed.  As far as integrating M1's with Qlogic/Emulex CNA's you're good to go.  I have C250 M1 in my lab working fine (fully integrated with UCSM).

Regards,

Robert

randyrubins
Level 1
Level 1

Great news - thanks Robert!  I'm relieved that M1s are fully supported to be managed via UCSM.  Is it a fair statement that "ALL Cisco UCS C-series rack-mount systems can be fully integrated in and managed from UCSM"?

Now, I just need to figure out what I'm doing wrong in the procedure described in Appendix D of the "Installation and Service" guides for the appropriate model.  I have 3 servers to connect.  So, I'll try the procedure again on Monday on one of the C250 M1 servers.

I suspect my RJ45 cables are not plugged into the correct 1Gb LOM ports.... after looking at the Figure D-1 again.  Do you know if the UCSM rack-mount server discovery process uses the KVM/mgmt path exclusively?  Or would data path (Twinax cables from QLogic CNAs to Fabric Interconnects) be used during this discovery process as well?

Randy,

Only the LOM Management/KVM connection are used for discovery.  In this release the two are mutually separate, wherein future versions we will have a single consolidated control & data path.

Ensure your Management IP Pool has enough available IPs.  I find this is commonly overlooked.  People usually create a management IP pool just big enough to cover all their blades.  When integrating the C Series, they will also pull their management IP (via DHCP) over the control links (LOM).

Regards,

Robert

Just to be clear

"ALL Cisco UCS C-series rack-mount systems can be fully integrated in and managed from UCSM"? is not 100% true.

The C460 is currently NOT supported with UCSM integration. So just in case anyone sees this thread wondering about the C460.

One thing is that you said you upgraded the CIMC on the C series but did you put the CIMC into UCS mode? In the CIMC there should be an option to change the mode from standalone to UCSM managed mode. Make sure you do that.

louis

Thanks Louis and Robert!

As I suspected, I had tried to use the C-series Mgmt ports (as opposed to the LOM ports) for KVM/mgmt connections....  Thanks for the note on C460! Will have to keep that in mind.

I'm all set with a single blade chassis ( 6 x B200 M2 blades) and 3 rack-mounts (1 x C210 M1 and 2 x C250 M1 servers), all configured and managed thru a single pane of managment - UCSM 1.4(1).

A thing of beauty!  UCS Rocks!

I can hear the voices singing "Alleluia!"  Every single warning & information alert cleared too.  Very nice indeed.  Thanks for the screenshot.

Cheers,

Robert

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: