Views
Helpful
Replies

Port Span Problem

cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to do port span on 4500 series switch. My source port are trunk ports and destination is a gig Port , please let me know when i do a " sh mon ses 1 " should i get this kind of output

4500Switch#sh mon ses 1
Session 1
---------
Type                   : Local Session
Source Ports           :
    Both               : Gi2/4-6
Destination Ports      : Gi3/1
    Encapsulation      : Native
          Ingress : Disabled   <<<--------- I am not sure about this
         Learning : Disabled

regards

Neo

3 Replies 3

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What is the switch series and share your show module output ?

Regards

Ganesh.H

renmarqu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Neo,

this means that when ingress is enabled, the SPAN destination port accepts incoming packets (potentially tagged depending on the specified encapsulation mode) and switches them normally. When configuring a SPAN destination port, you can specify whether the ingress feature is enabled and what VLAN to use to switch untagged ingress packets.

As an example:

Switch(config)# monitor session 1 destination interface gi1/2 encapsulation isl ingress

Cheers,

Renata

vvasisth
Level 1
Level 1

yes its normal.by default its disabled.

When ingress is enabled, the SPAN destination port accepts incoming packets (potentially tagged depending on the specified encapsulation mode) and switches them normally. When configuring a SPAN destination port, you can specify whether or not the ingress feature is enabled and what VLAN to use to switch untagged ingress packets. (Specifying an ingress VLAN is not required when ISL encapsulation is configured, as all ISL encapsulated packets have VLAN tags.) Although the port is STP forwarding, it does not participate in the STP, so use caution when configuring this feature lest a spanning-tree loop be introduced in the network. When both ingress and a trunk encapsulation are specified on a SPAN destination port, the port goes forwarding in all active VLANs. Configuring a non-existent VLAN as an ingress VLAN is not allowed.

By default, host learning is disabled on SPAN destination ports with ingress enabled. The port is also removed from VLAN floodsets, so regular traffic is not switched out of the destination port. If learning is enabled, however, then traffic for hosts learned on the destination port is switched out the destination port. It is also possible to configure static host entries (including a static ARP entry and a static entry in the MAC-address table) on SPAN destination ports.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card