Hreap and spectralink

Unanswered Question
Dec 11th, 2009

Hi

We're currently deploying a wireless network and I've come across a problem.

We're going to be using Polycom/Spectralink handsets and I've set a wlan up according to spectralinks documentation including the setting the multicast mode to multicast but when I do this the message "H-REAP supports 'unicast' mode only" appears.

We were planning deploying H-Reap APs to remote locations but this message suggests that we'd have to deploy an additional controller for this.

Can anyone confirm if there is another way to do this?

Thanks

Martin

Attachment: 
I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Stephen Rodriguez Tue, 12/22/2009 - 10:07

To start, the basic difference between Multicast > Multicast, and Multicast > Unicast, is how the packet is handeled.  In MM, when the WLC gets a packet, it sends a single reply to the multicast group address that is configured, this is the group the AP's will join.  In MU, the WLC sends a packet to each AP.  The only real difference is that MU is more network intense then MM is.

Part of my normal trouble shooting, is if Multicast is not working and it's configured for MM, we'll change to MU, and test.  If it works in MU, then we know we have to look at multicast routing issues.

HTH

martinwisely Wed, 12/23/2009 - 02:40

Thanks for the response.

So is there a way that I can have the multicast mode set to multicast and hreap APs on one controller?  The screenshot I attached to my first messages indicates that I can't but I just wanted to confirm.

Thanks

Martin

Stephen Rodriguez Wed, 12/23/2009 - 05:38

that message is indicating that for HREAP's the WLC will send a unicast message to each AP.    

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content