cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Performance slower when using an 877 compared to the O2 router!?

Urfan Khaliq
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have an ADSL connection with O2 with upto 16 meg connection and I am using a Cisco 877 in place of the O2 router...With the cisco router in place I am only getting about 5-6 meg download speeds and when I swap over to the O2 router I get MUCH quicker speeds!

Now my problem is that I want to use the Cisco router for its firewall and also I am using a VPN server configured on the router....

Below is the config relating to the ADSL connection...

interface ATM0
mac-address xxxx.xxxx.xxxx
no ip address
ip virtual-reassembly
no atm ilmi-keepalive
dsl operating-mode auto
!
interface ATM0.1 point-to-point
description ADSL2+ O2broadband
ip address xx.xxx.xxx.xxx 255.255.252.0
ip nat outside
ip virtual-reassembly
atm route-bridged ip
pvc 0/101
  oam-pvc manage
  encapsulation aal5snap

Can anyone advise why this might be slower then the actual O2 router???

Thanks in advance

Urfan

7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

send "show dsl interface".

Here you go...What does this show?

Thanks

Urfan

Try upgrading to FW 3.0.33 from:

ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/access/800/

What does this upgrade exactly? Also there is a newer version on the ftp site (4.10.9) would that not be better?

Thanks

Urfan

Upgrade and let us know.

4.10.9 is not for the 877.

Hi thanks for your help but just wanted to clarify before i go ahead, how to do the upgrade...

the instructions say to rename the file to adsl_alc_20190.bin and copy to flash and reboot...

However it also says in the ntoes...

Ø       The firmware file should not be renamed when being copied  to the flash , Since the router looks for the presence of file named "adsl_alc_20190.bin" to initiate the flash upgrade process

Ø       If IOS is now able to find a valid firmware in the flash then it would always use that rather than the firmware embedded in IOS. If users want to use the embedded firmware, they have to ensure that there is no valid firmware file in flash.

I dont quite understand this?

Urfan

the instructions say to rename the file to adsl_alc_20190.bin and copy to flash and reboot...

Just do that.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: