cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco support for G722.2 wideband codec

russell.king
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone tell me what Cisco support there is for G.722.2 wideband codec. I can't find anything to suggest that this is currently supported.

If it is not currently supported can anyone tell me if they know of any roadmap details

5 Replies 5

I have seen this doc, however this details support for the G.722 codec with 64KB support. G.722.2 is a variant which allows variable bandwidth to support congestion on wan or internet connections. This is not mentioned in this doc, hence the question of whether the .2 variant is on the roadmap.

If it is not mentioned anywhere, is not supported.

Only G722 is supported right now.  After attending a number of sessions regarding the upcoming 8.0 product line, I haven't heard any mention of further support for wideband variants.  G.722 and iLBC are being talked about more and more but there are still a number of considerations on whether to use them or not.  For example, G722 on IP to IP sounds great...but to PSTN may not be so hot.  Also, there are capacity limitations - major ones at that in some lines.  So, with Unity Connection there is support for these codecs but use of them reduces port capacity by 50%...so the defaults are still sticking to G711 in most cases.  Happy Holidays to you all.

jbburks
Level 5
Level 5

I just saw the datasheet on the new 8832 conference phone. It lists g.722.2. This is the first that I've seen it on an endpoint.

Have you seen any mobile carriers delivering it to the business SIP trunking side?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: