Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Discovery Tool & Network Baselining

Benjamin Waldon
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am going to be working on a project for a customer that will involve replacing their core switching enviornment. It's not a very big enviornment (150 users), but there are very high availability requirements. They have mixed vendor network, made mostly of low-end managed switches. So, I need to take a baseline of their network before I recommend a solution.

Specifically I am trying to:

- establish current network utilization. IE: this switch is at %50 utlization, or this port is consistently at %100 utilization.

- establish current metrics - ie to ping from this port to this host has 5ms of delay, etc

- characterize their netword - ie, their traffic is very broadcast intensive, and that is what is slowing everything down.

This would be so that:

- we will be able to design the right solution for their network.

- After the solution is implemented, we can run the same tools and show a tangible difference (rather than relying on end-user perceptions).

Would Cisco Discovery tool do that for me? I thought that it would, but I read the site on it, and it appears to be more of an inventory tool.

If not, what else would you recommend? I have a few other tools that I am looking into, but more feedback is always welcome. I plan on attaching a computer to their network for approx 5-7 days. I expect that whatever I use is going to use SMTP. Is syslog of any benefit here? I have done similar things in the past, but this project is so focused on performance and I think this reporting is going to be so key to success (and customer's perception of success) that I want to revisit and get some feedback from the community.

Thanks,

1 Reply 1

Brent Rockburn
Level 2
Level 2

If you have the budget I'd recommend solar winds Orion with the network performance piece. It's very good and will do what you want.

regards,

Brent

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco