cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help in moving the Configuration from a Layer 3 4507 Switch to a suitable stackable switch

amiantitcit
Level 1
Level 1

I am in the process of migrating the existing 4507 Switch to a layer 3 switch and also add a 2800 series router to replace the switch. Please advice which switch will be good to replace with. Can I use a 3650 switch.

The current 4507 switch acts as the distribution and a wan router so i want to copy the complete vlan switching and routing configuration to the 3650 Switch and the 2800 Series router.

Please let me know how to seperate the functions.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

amiantitcit wrote:

I am in the process of migrating the existing 4507 Switch to a layer 3 switch and also add a 2800 series router to replace the switch. Please advice which switch will be good to replace with. Can I use a 3650 switch.

The current 4507 switch acts as the distribution and a wan router so i want to copy the complete vlan switching and routing configuration to the 3650 Switch and the 2800 Series router.

Please let me know how to seperate the functions.

Thanks

The switch you choose depends on throughput needed and port capacity. To go from a 4507 to one 3560 switch doesn't sound right although it may be that you have very few ports in use on the 4507. If you need more than one L3 switch to replace the 4507 then i would recommend the 3750 which is stackable.

Copy the config - well the easiest thing to do would be to save the config from the 4500 and then after modifying for the changes in port numbers, paste it back into the new switch. Or you could connect the new switch to the 4500 with a trunk and make the 4500 a VTP server and the new switch a VTP client and let the vlan database be copied across.

Basically the 2800 will connect to the WAN. For the connection back to the new switch(es) use a L3 P2P routed link.

Jon

Rick Morris
Level 6
Level 6

For stackable solution comparable to the 4500 you should go with the 3750, and make sure you get the stackwise cables.  This will work much like the 4500 with sharing the backplane, this will also provide multiple paths from switch to switch.  It is designed for this type of set-up.  Also this config will be a little different from the 4500 in which the 3750 interfaces will be numbered a bit different than they are for the 4500, so cut and pasting the config is not a good idea.  I would use a text editor to make the changes then tftp the config.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card