cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it possible to have multiple DHCP Servers in a Single VLAN ?

Magesh G.
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have one 4500 Core switch  and currently  have one DHCP Server .

But now the client requires one more DHCP Server in their network for redundancy or Failover in the same VLAN.

Is it possible to have multiple DHCP servers in a single VLAN ??

Pls advice..

Thanks ,

Mahesh

4 Replies 4

ohassairi
Level 5
Level 5

yes it is possible.

the first that will answer will offer the IP address.

but in order to avoid ip conflict devide your IP scope in 2 parts :

for example if you have the range 192.168.1.1 ---> 192.168.1.254 then give server 1 the scope: 192.168.1.1 ---> 192.168.1.128 and server 2 :

192.168.1.129 ---> 192.168.1.254

or try to see if you can form a DHCP server cluster.

think also about implementing DHCP snooping to avoid DHCP attacks

hi ,

thanks for the reply...

If we have multiple vlans in the network.. is there any changes to be done to VLAN interface config in my L3 switch ?

currently i have one ip helper address < dhcp server 1>  configured on the vlan interface .

Please revert.

Thanks ,

magesh2005 wrote:

hi ,

thanks for the reply...

If we have multiple vlans in the network.. is there any changes to be done to VLAN interface config in my L3 switch ?

currently i have one ip helper address < dhcp server 1>  configured on the vlan interface .

Please revert.

Thanks ,

Yes, you will need to add a second "ip helper-address x.x.x.x" command under your L3 vlan interfaces for the 2nd DHCP server.

Jon

vvasisth
Level 1
Level 1

yes you can have multiple dhcp servers for a vlan.

and the ip helper command is used to just convert the broadcast packet and send it as a unicat packet to the ip add defined in the command this command is mostly used when you have the dhcp server in a diff vlan.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card