Views
Helpful
Replies

ME6524 QOS

gauravprakash
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have some quries about QOS on ME6524..

1. The downlink port Queue Structure is
• TX: 1p3q8t
• RX: 1q2t

That means we just have ONE ingress queue .. right ? No prioritization

2. I guess we can do Ingress & Egress Policing on Downlink , can we do Egress SHAPING on Downlink and Uplink port..?

3. Since the INgress queue & EGress Queue are different in numbers & capabilities.."TX: 1p3q8t   RX: 1q2t " how do we define separte L2 qos parameters..like

wrr-queue bandwidth 
wrr-queue queue-limit
wrr-queue threshold

wrr-queue cos-map

Will the above config apply to both ingress & Egress frames ?

4. I read this somewhere ::Enhancements in 6524-ME
Below are the feature enhancements in 6524-ME
• Serial Processing of Ingress & Egress Policing
• L2VPN CoS&DSCP Transparency compatible with L3VPNs

Can someone explain very briefly..

Thx

GP

5 Replies 5

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Gaurav,

1) yes 1q2t means only one queue with two thresolds for the receiving queue

2)

according to ME 6524 datasheet only policing is supported, shaping is not mentioned

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps6568/ps6845/ps6846/product_data_sheet0900aecd8040657e.html

3)

a dedicated configuration guide for ME 6524 doesn't exist, the configuration guide link in the  product page  redirects to general 6500 configuration guides

configuration of the ingress queue should be different using the rcv-queue command

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/qos.html#wp1728075

Configuring a Tail-Drop Receive Queue

These port types have only tail-drop thresholds in their receive-queues:

>>1q2t

1p1q4t

2q8t

1q8t

To configure the drop thresholds, perform this task:

Example:

Router# configure terminal 
Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
Router(config)# interface gigabitethernet 1/1 
Router(config-if)# rcv-queue threshold 1 60 75 85 100 
Router(config-if)# end 
Router# 

4)
you can find an explanation in the C6500 datasheet reported in first link in this post:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps6568/ps6845/ps6846/product_data_sheet0900aecd8040657e.html

It should mean that the device can act as MPLS VPN PE (L3 VPN) and as L2 PE, transparency means the capacity to carry the QoS marking made by the customer without changing them even if some form of marking is done on the MPLS labels.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thx very much ...

So I cannot do Ingress Prioritization on downlink lan ports for my customers voice traffic ?

As there are two Drop threshold in Recive queue, can I configure it to drop the Non-Voice frames first and then the Voice frames ?

Assuming customer has done proper markings ...

Regards,

Gaurav Prakash

Hello Gaurav,

>>

So I cannot do Ingress Prioritization on downlink lan ports for my customers voice traffic ?

>>

As there are two Drop threshold in Recive queue, can I configure it to drop the Non-Voice frames first and then the Voice frames ?

I agree on both, with the appropriate marking made by the customer.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Many thx...another question..

1. Do you think we can do Ingress policing that too class based..
....for example...

!

policy-map test
class voice
police 80000
class business
police 20000
class default
police 10000

!

Interface gig 1/2.200
enacpsulation dot1q 200
ip address 1.1.1.1 /30
service-policy input test

2. If I recive DOT1P frames, can I do classification based on already set DOT1P values on ME6524 downlink port ?

3. If we say the downlink port has Tx 1p3q8t structure. Are these 4 queue hardware queues or software queue ? If they are software..can we tweak the hardware queue.?

4. Also Tx on Downlink port means traffic going towards customer from ME6524 downlink lan port ?

Thanks in advance.. you are really helpful..

Gaurav Prakash

Hello Gaurav,

1)  I may be wrong I don't think this config can be applied to a port of a multilayer switch like ME 6524 I'm not sure you can use vlan sub interfaces in this way like we do in a router

the service policy is part of modular QoS but it then should be mapped to HW queues you should be able to apply it inbound on physical interface

2)

you can deal with 802.1Q tagged frames, 802.1P is the CoS field in an 802.1Q vlan tag.

3)

my understanding is that they are HW queues, they are linecard model dependent for example in a modular C6500

4)

tx= outbound = towards customer yes

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: