Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Bridge Aironet 1240

gdspa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

is it possible to create a wireless bridge between 2 AP of different brands?

I need to create a bridge between an Aironet 1240 and a Telecom Italia router (Alice Gate VoIP 2 Plus Wi-Fi), where

the Alice Gate is the AP and the aironet works in the workgroup mode.

At home I tried with the Aironet and a Thomson st585: when aironet tries to connect to the ssid, the thomson ap reloads.

In Aironet logs I find : "Parent lost : too many requests"

What does it mean?

2 Replies 2

dancampb
Level 7
Level 7

The thing to keep in mind is that there isn't a standard for wireless bridging so interoperability between vendors is very low.  Your best shot at getting this to work is to setup the 1240 in universal workgroup bridge mode.  For root/non-root bridging you'll really have to have Cisco on both ends.

robert.huang
Level 1
Level 1

dancampb is right. There isn't a standard for wireless bridging so interoperability between vendors is very low.

I have tried the following 3 tests.

1. Set Cisco Aironet 1242 as the root AP and Cisco Aironet 1231 as the wireless work bridge. No problem with all encryption methods like WEP, WPA WPA2.

2. Set Linksys WRT310N as the root AP and Cisco Aironet 1242 as the wireless work bridge. Tried WPA2, can't associate.

3. Set Belkin54g as the root AP and Cisco Aironet 1231 as the wireless work bridge/repeater. Open method, can't associate.

As far as I know, if you can flash both the AP and the Bridge with the same firmware like DD-WRT, then you have a big chance to successfully associate them.

Hope the above tests help.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card