cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Media Termination Point and Transcoding - do I need to use one?

steigja
Level 3
Level 3

Hello All,

I'am setting up a CUCM 7.0 deployment using CUBE.  I'am doing a sip trunk to the CUBE.  The CUBE to every destination region is G.729 and all internal calls are g.711.  My question is the need for a media termination point.  I guess I just need the media termination point demistified,  I know it can also function as a transcoder.  The SIP trunk is going to be transcoded to g.729 at CUCM so that means I would need to have the box , media termination point required, checked?  I'am doing H323 internally to all other gateways. Thanks

Jason

2 Replies 2

AFAIK if your endpoints(phones) are supporting G729, there is no need in transcoding(in your case no transcoding is needed over the trunk).

If you are making an Ad-Hoc conference in HQ based on software conference bridge of your CUCM (G711 only) then you'll need to have a transcoder in HQ.

Seems like I answered just a part of your question)

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

" I guess I just need the media termination point demistified,  I know it can also function as a transcoder. " NO

An XCODER can work as an MTP, but an MTP CANNOT work as an XCODER.

This link discusses the MTP funtion and SIP trunk + MTP requirements:

Media Termination Point (MTP)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/7x/media.html#wp1046314

Read the section:

SIP Trunk MTP Requirements

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: