Views
Helpful
Replies

GigabitEthernet question

js
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have a Cisco 3825 router that has two GigabitEthernet ports. The router is in a different network than our company network, so they're not able to reach eachother.

I was thinking of creating a new subinterface under GigabitEthernet 0/1 and put it in the same network as our company network, so it can reach it. Is this a safe way of doing this? because our Voice VLAN is also configured under GigabitEthernet 0/1.

The reason we want to do is,  to send notifications to our mailserver when someone receives a voicemail.

Below the configuration of our subinterface which is used for Voice traffic.

interface GigabitEthernet0/1.1
description $ETH-LAN$
encapsulation dot1Q 200
ip address 10.x.x.x x.x.x.x
no cdp enable

Thanks in advance,

Grant

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sure, you can put the router to communicate into aqs many vlan you want and nothing bad should happen.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sure, you can put the router to communicate into aqs many vlan you want and nothing bad should happen.

Thank you. Going to try it

Alright. I made a new subinterface and made it Native VLAN 1.

Doing a ping to our company network works fine from the IOS.

Since we have a NME-CUE module with Cisco Unity Expres 3.1, I tried pinging our mailserver from there, but that didn't work. I could ping the Native VLAN 1.

Is there a way to add a static route to the module? Or should I do it another way? If so, i'd really appreciate it if you point me into the right direction.

Below a part of our configuration:

interface GigabitEthernet0/1
no ip address
no ip redirects
no ip unreachables
no ip proxy-arp
ip wccp web-cache redirect in
ip route-cache flow
duplex auto
speed auto
media-type rj45
no mop enabled
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1.1
description $ETH-LAN$
encapsulation dot1Q 200
ip address 10.x.x.x x.x.x.x
no cdp enable
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1.2
description Native VLAN 1 COMPANYNETWORK
encapsulation dot1Q 1 native
ip address 192.x.x.x x.x.x.x
no cdp enable

Thanks in advance,

~Grant

Most likely the router used by mailserver doesn't know about CUE address, and routing should be fixed there.

Please do not be offended by this, but if you are are the end user, consider engaging a networking professional to look after your needs, you will have better and safe results consistently.

Thanks. I'll get on that.

It's oke.I'm an intern at this company and my task is to configure this Cisco router. I had no knowledge whatsoever about VoIP and networking, but I've learned a lot these past few months, but I still need help sometimes.

~Grant

I think your company should evaluate more seriously the skills needed to properly care of networking and voip.

Not to say you will not be able to, by studyng and trying.

Good luck with yiou career in any case!

Thank you.

Also thanks for your help. It's working now.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: