cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASK THE EXPERT - DIAL ON DEMAND ROUTING AND POINT TO POINT PROTOCOL

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn more about DDR and PPP on leased and dial line.with Cisco experts Tejal Patel. Tejal is a customer support engineer at the Technical Assistance Center (TAC) at Cisco Systems, Inc. He joined Cisco in July 1999. His current responsibilities include troubleshooting complex issues, training, and authoring documentation. His areas of expertise are Telco Signaling, Configuration and Troubleshooting of Access Servers, AAA etc. Tejal is CCIE # 6619 for ISP Dial. He continually shares his expertise by speaking at the Access Design Clinic at Networkers to discuss and resolve the design related technical issues. Tejal holds a Bachelor Degree in Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering from Poona University, India. Prior to joining Cisco, Tejal was a Test Engineer at Leemah Datacom Inc. where he was responsible for functional testing of Network Access Server and RADIUS server.

Remember to use the rating system to let Tejal know if you have received an adequate response.

Tejal might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through December 24, 2009. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

8 Replies 8

good morning, I am using a card HWIC-3G-GSM router 1841, the problem is that when we change from GSM to egde card does not automatically, but until you restart the router, I can, do me urgent response.

Hi Juan,

Pl. clarify your question in detail. Step by sep changes that are being made will be added help to me to understand the issue better. I am not clear, perticularly about change from GSM to edge.

Also include the output for the command "show cellular 0/0/0 all" from 1841 before and after you make a change.

Thanks.

Tejal

the problem is that when I pass the test of GSM 3g to Edge on my card HWIC-3G-GSM, the card does not register any service and I lose the signal, which is to reboot the router, when in 2g edge, my question if a nurse is how they make the change manually from 3g to 2g and vice versa without rebooting the router, and if there indicam I should do, because the output of command takes place when the transition from GSM to edge show cell 0/1/0 is (this the output when entry to edge):

routerA#show cell 0/1/0 net
Current Service Status = No service, Service Error = None
Current Service = Combined
Packet Service = None
Packet Session Status = Active
Current Roaming Status = Home
Network Selection Mode = Automatic
Country = HND, Network = CELTEL
Mobile Country Code (MCC) = 708
Mobile Network Code (MNC) = 2
Location Area Code (LAC) = 1001
Routing Area Code (RAC) = 255
Cell ID = 0
Primary Scrambling Code = 0
PLMN Selection = Automatic

and this is in gsm:

routerA#show cell 0/1/0 net
Current Service Status = Normal, Service Error = None
Current Service = Combined
Packet Service = HSDPA (Attached)
Packet Session Status = Active
Current Roaming Status = Home
Network Selection Mode = Automatic
Country = HND, Network = CELTEL
Mobile Country Code (MCC) = 708
Mobile Network Code (MNC) = 2
Location Area Code (LAC) = 1001
Routing Area Code (RAC) = 1
Cell ID = 11041
Primary Scrambling Code = 484
PLMN Selection = Automatic
Registered PLMN = CELTEL , Abbreviated = CELTEL
Service Provider = TIGO

that I do need your help, please

Hi Juan,

Check what is the GSM setting is configured on the cellular interface. IF it is set for Auto-band it should be able to switch between 2g and 3 g

cellular 0/1/0 gsm band gsm-all-bands

cellular 0/1/0 gsm band auto-band

The gsm-all-bands command connects only to a 2G service (no wideband CDMA [WCDMA]).

The auto-band command is the default setting in the modem; with this configuration the modem connects to 3G service if available.

IF that is not working we will need to see if he is getting a RSSI signal and change the PRL region setting.

That will need some troubleshooting, best would be to open a TAC case by logging at

http://tools.cisco.com/ServiceRequestTool/create/launch.do

Thanks

Tejal

That's what I did and still the problem persists, they can go, there is some extra configuration to do.

Do you still have that TAC SR # handy?  Is it still open?  Let me have that and i will have that engineer to work with you on priority basis for a fix.

another question you think is necessary to update the firmware of the card, the firmware that is currently used:
Modem Firmware Version = H1_1_9_3MCAP C: / WS /
Modem Firmware built = 12/12/07

with respect to TAC I'm looking as soon as you have on hand shipping.

Juan,

You can upgradeto the next version if available.

Before upgrading the modem to a new firmware version, please check if the new firmware version has been certified by your wireless service provider. Using an uncertified firmware version on the modem may impact the wireless service provider network adversely.

Refer to the following website for the latest certified firmware version for your carrier and IOS compatibility:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/networking_solutions_products_generic_content0900aecd80601f7e.html

Here is the link which will help you download and upgrade the modem fimrware.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/1800/1861/software/feature/guide/3ghwic.html#wp1202540

Tejal

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco