Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Express 7 licensing upgrade question

yvonneobiero
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Have CUE version 7 with 5 mailboxes , I want to add cue-vm-license_12mbx_cme_7.0.3.pkg so that i can end up having 17 mailboxes total. been reading this document that exlains the process http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity_exp/rel2_1/cme_cli/ch2a_upg.html#wpxref53388

My question if i use "software install clean" command will i loose the 5 existing mailboxes? A bit urget coz i would like to get it done now or should i be using "software install add".

Thanks in advance for any response.

urgent

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Yvonne,

A couple of things to note here

This Link describes the procedures to upgrade or downgrade to a different license size for Cisco Unity Express systems without changing the release version. The procedures in this chapter apply whether you are upgrading to a license with support for ***more mailboxes, downgrading to a license with support for fewer mailboxes, or changing your Interactive Voice Response (IVR) licenses.

**CUE only looks at the last License that was loaded, so these are not cumulative (You cannot add a 12 mailbox license to an existing 5 to acheive 17)

Co$t-wise this should be no different as you will receive the credit for the existing Mailbox License that you had already purchased and should only pay for the new VM Licenses!

After the software is downloaded, enter the software install clean command to install the new software:

Caution** This step cleans the disk. All configuration and voice messages are lost after this step. Verify that a backup was done. If it has not, abort at this step and do a backup first.

For Example;

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express

•cue-vm-license_12mbx_cme_7.0.x.pkg

•cue-vm-license_25mbx_cme_7.0.x.pkg

•cue-vm-license_50mbx_cme_7.0.x.pkg

•cue-vm-license_100mbx_cme_7.0.x.pkg

•cue-vm-license_150mbx_cme_7.0.x.pkg

•cue-vm-license_200mbx_cme_7.0.x.pkg

•cue-vm-license_250mbx_cme_7.0.x.pkg

From this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity_exp/rel7_0/install/upglic.html#wp1140481

Hope this helps! Cheers!

Rob

View solution in original post

Hi Yvonne,

You are most welcome my friend!

Beginning with Cisco Unity Express 7.1, a new type of license called CSL licensing is supported. With CSL licenses, the mailbox license count includes both personal mailboxes and GDMs. The type of the mailbox is determined when it is configured. Also, the call-agent is no longer specified using licenses and can be configured either as part of post-install process or during bootup.

Obtaining Migration Licenses

Note There is no cost to obtain migration licenses for CSL.
Required Information

To obtain CSL migration licenses you need to have the following information:

•The SKU for the features that you need.

This is the information that you determined in the "Selecting which Features You Want" section.

•The Product ID (PID)

•The Serial Number (SN) from the device.

Using the Migration Portal

Note You must have a CCO password to access some of the URLs in the following procedure.

Follow these steps to obtain a migration license for your existing Cisco Unity Express 7.1 features:

Step 1 Go to the licensing portal at www.cisco.com/go/license and click the link at the bottom of the page to go to the license migration portal.

Step 2 On the router that is running the features that you want to migrate, enter the show inventory command to see the corresponding product IDs and serial numbers.

Step 3 Enter the appropriate product ID and the serial number and click Continue.

The product ID is the type of Network Module that you are using, such as AIM-CUE.

Step 4 Use the drop-down menus to select the product family, product, and feature (SKU), then click Continue.

For the product, use the SKU that you determined in the previous section for the features that you want to migrate.

Enter your registration information, including your company's name and e-mail address, then click Continue.

Step 5 Verify all of your license information and click Submit to receive the free CSL upgrade license file by e-mail.

Step 6 Repeat the appropriate steps above for each device that is running features that you want to migrate.

Step 7 Copy the license file(s) to a FTP or TFTP server.

Adding More Mailboxes, Ports, IVR Sessions, and TimeCardView Users

When you buy licences for additional features on Cisco Unity Express 7.1, the licences are available only in the increments shown below. These licenses are the same for all supported devices. See the Release Notes for Cisco Unity Express 7.1 for a list of supported devices. The following types of licenses are available:

•Mailboxes (available only in increments of five)

•Ports (available only in increments of two)

•IVR (available only in increments of two)

•TimeCardView users (available only in increments of one)

The corresponding SKUs for these licenses are:

•FL-CUE-MBX-5

•FL-CUE-PORT-2

•FL-CUE-IVR-2

•FL-TCV-USER-1

To determine the total quantity of licenses you need, multiply the incremental quantity from the name of the CSL license with the explicit quantity of increments that you want to purchase. For instance, FL-CUE-MBX-5 represents an incremental quantity of five mailboxes. If you select an explicit quantity of four for the FL-CUE-MBX-5 feature, the total quantity will be five times four, or 20.

Using CLI Commands to Install Licenses

After you obtain a license file from Cisco's licensing portal and copy it to a FTP or TFTP server, use the following CLI commands to install the license. Only the use of FTP is shown below.
SUMMARY STEPS

1. license install ftp://username:password@ip_address/path/license_file

2. reload

3. enable

4. show license all

5. show license in-use

6. show license status application

From this excellent doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity_exp/rel7_1/Licensing/Using_CSL.html#wp1102792

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Yvonne,

A couple of things to note here

This Link describes the procedures to upgrade or downgrade to a different license size for Cisco Unity Express systems without changing the release version. The procedures in this chapter apply whether you are upgrading to a license with support for ***more mailboxes, downgrading to a license with support for fewer mailboxes, or changing your Interactive Voice Response (IVR) licenses.

**CUE only looks at the last License that was loaded, so these are not cumulative (You cannot add a 12 mailbox license to an existing 5 to acheive 17)

Co$t-wise this should be no different as you will receive the credit for the existing Mailbox License that you had already purchased and should only pay for the new VM Licenses!

After the software is downloaded, enter the software install clean command to install the new software:

Caution** This step cleans the disk. All configuration and voice messages are lost after this step. Verify that a backup was done. If it has not, abort at this step and do a backup first.

For Example;

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express

•cue-vm-license_12mbx_cme_7.0.x.pkg

•cue-vm-license_25mbx_cme_7.0.x.pkg

•cue-vm-license_50mbx_cme_7.0.x.pkg

•cue-vm-license_100mbx_cme_7.0.x.pkg

•cue-vm-license_150mbx_cme_7.0.x.pkg

•cue-vm-license_200mbx_cme_7.0.x.pkg

•cue-vm-license_250mbx_cme_7.0.x.pkg

From this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity_exp/rel7_0/install/upglic.html#wp1140481

Hope this helps! Cheers!

Rob

Thanks for your response, wat applies when it comes to CUE 7.1? if the hardware is a 2801 with AIM-CUE which comes with 12 mailboxes however only 5 mailboxes are visible in the system, how do you get the other mailboxes active?

Hi Yvonne,

You are most welcome my friend!

Beginning with Cisco Unity Express 7.1, a new type of license called CSL licensing is supported. With CSL licenses, the mailbox license count includes both personal mailboxes and GDMs. The type of the mailbox is determined when it is configured. Also, the call-agent is no longer specified using licenses and can be configured either as part of post-install process or during bootup.

Obtaining Migration Licenses

Note There is no cost to obtain migration licenses for CSL.
Required Information

To obtain CSL migration licenses you need to have the following information:

•The SKU for the features that you need.

This is the information that you determined in the "Selecting which Features You Want" section.

•The Product ID (PID)

•The Serial Number (SN) from the device.

Using the Migration Portal

Note You must have a CCO password to access some of the URLs in the following procedure.

Follow these steps to obtain a migration license for your existing Cisco Unity Express 7.1 features:

Step 1 Go to the licensing portal at www.cisco.com/go/license and click the link at the bottom of the page to go to the license migration portal.

Step 2 On the router that is running the features that you want to migrate, enter the show inventory command to see the corresponding product IDs and serial numbers.

Step 3 Enter the appropriate product ID and the serial number and click Continue.

The product ID is the type of Network Module that you are using, such as AIM-CUE.

Step 4 Use the drop-down menus to select the product family, product, and feature (SKU), then click Continue.

For the product, use the SKU that you determined in the previous section for the features that you want to migrate.

Enter your registration information, including your company's name and e-mail address, then click Continue.

Step 5 Verify all of your license information and click Submit to receive the free CSL upgrade license file by e-mail.

Step 6 Repeat the appropriate steps above for each device that is running features that you want to migrate.

Step 7 Copy the license file(s) to a FTP or TFTP server.

Adding More Mailboxes, Ports, IVR Sessions, and TimeCardView Users

When you buy licences for additional features on Cisco Unity Express 7.1, the licences are available only in the increments shown below. These licenses are the same for all supported devices. See the Release Notes for Cisco Unity Express 7.1 for a list of supported devices. The following types of licenses are available:

•Mailboxes (available only in increments of five)

•Ports (available only in increments of two)

•IVR (available only in increments of two)

•TimeCardView users (available only in increments of one)

The corresponding SKUs for these licenses are:

•FL-CUE-MBX-5

•FL-CUE-PORT-2

•FL-CUE-IVR-2

•FL-TCV-USER-1

To determine the total quantity of licenses you need, multiply the incremental quantity from the name of the CSL license with the explicit quantity of increments that you want to purchase. For instance, FL-CUE-MBX-5 represents an incremental quantity of five mailboxes. If you select an explicit quantity of four for the FL-CUE-MBX-5 feature, the total quantity will be five times four, or 20.

Using CLI Commands to Install Licenses

After you obtain a license file from Cisco's licensing portal and copy it to a FTP or TFTP server, use the following CLI commands to install the license. Only the use of FTP is shown below.
SUMMARY STEPS

1. license install ftp://username:password@ip_address/path/license_file

2. reload

3. enable

4. show license all

5. show license in-use

6. show license status application

From this excellent doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity_exp/rel7_1/Licensing/Using_CSL.html#wp1102792

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hey, Rob, I understand that with the 7.1x CUE licensing, that the only difference between a single user mailbox and a GDM is how they're configured.  Unfortunately, I'm coming up short on exactly how to make the mailbox a GDM in the first place.

Do you have any examples or docs you can point me to so that I can "get a clue" on configuring GDM's under 7.1x?  I'm assuming I have to tie the mailbox to a group id instead of a user id, but am not quite clear on how to do that.

Any help you can give will be much appreciated.

Kevin

Hey Kevin,

No worries my friend

Adding and Modifying a Group

A group is a collection of subscribers, usually with a common function or purpose, such as sales, main office, customer service, or technicians. A group has the following characteristics:

•Members of the group can be individual subscribers or other groups.

•The group is assigned an extension.

•The group can have a mailbox assigned to it.

•A group can have zero or more subscribers as owners. An owner of a group can add and delete members. Additionally, an owner can add and delete other owners to the group.

•Members can belong to more than one group.

•Members can be added to the group using the configuration mode groupname command or using the EXEC mode username command. See "Adding and Modifying a User" for details about the username command.

Note Subscribers must exist before being added to a group. See "Adding and Modifying a User" to configure the subscriber's detailed information.

•Only members have access to the messages in a group's voice mailbox. The owner is not considered a member of the group. If the owner needs to access the group's mailbox, add the owner as a member of the group. (The owner's name appears twice in the group, once as a member and once as the owner.)

The following procedure allows you to create a new group in the system.
Required Data for This Procedure

The following information is required to define a group:

•EXEC mode:

–Name of group

–(Optional) Description of group

–(Optional) Full name of group

•Configuration mode:

–Name of group

–(Optional) One or more existing user or group IDs to be added as members

–(Optional) One or more existing user IDs to be added as owners

–(Optional) Extension or telephone number of the group

–(Optional) Full E.164 telephone number of the group

–(Optional) Privilege level for the group
SUMMARY STEPS

EXEC mode:

1. groupname userid [create | delete | description "description" | fullname "full-name"]

2. show groups
or
show group detail groupname groupid

3. copy running-config startup-config

Configuration mode:

1. config t

2. groupname groupid [member username | owner ownername | phonenumber phone-number | phonenumberE164 full-number | privilege privilege-id]

3. exit

4. show groups
or
show group detail groupname groupid

5. copy running-config startup-config

http://cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity_exp/rel3_2/administrator/voicemail/2users.html#wp1011632

Then add the user to the Group

SUMMARY STEPS

EXEC mode:

1. username userid [create | delete | fullname [first "first-name" | last "last-name" |
display "full-name"] | group group-name | language "language"| password "password" | pin number]

2. show users
or
show user detail username userid

3. copy running-config startup-config

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks Rob,

I get all that.  So is it just simply applying the groupid to the "voicemail mailbox owner" command and configuring the mailbox as usual?

I have a tendency to be oblivious to the obvious, so sorry if I'm being overly anal here . . . . .

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

You are most welcome

Sorry for the poor/unclear answer.

Create group

Assign Ext/DN to group

Add existing users to group

Designate owner(s) of group

You should be good to go!

Cheers!

Rob

Ok, GDM set up and running.   Now how do I assign the password to it?  Usually I leave the mailboxes alone and let the users run the tutorial, but since there's no one user on this box, how do I pre-assign the password?  I can't see a way via either command line nor GUI for this.

Oops, disregard that last, I'm discovering that you have to have a personal mailbox and be a group member in order to use Option 9 and access the GDM.  So that's going to impact how we count mailboxes too. . . .

Thanks for all your help Rob !!!

Kevin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: