cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM upgrade from 7.0(2) to 7.1(3)

KRISTINE OBrien
Level 1
Level 1

Do you need a to get a new Software Feature License if you are upgrading CUCM from 7.0(2) to 7.1(3)?

I would also like to say that I rarely have to post a question because I usually find the answers to my questions here.  Thanks to all that post and answer questions.

Kristine

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Kristine,

As far as Licensing goes,only an upgrade to a new "train" requires the Software Feature License. So for example;

CUCM 7.0(x) to 7.1(x) = No

CUCM 6.(x) to 7.0(x) = Yes

So in your case, you should be good to go

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

Hi Kristine and Mohammed,

Thanks for continuing your excellent follow-up in this thread +5 points

each for this kind gesture to help others here!

Just to summarize;

Kristine....your problem ended up being related to having too many

different License files being loaded? Is this related to a Bug or by design?

If this is a Bug could you please post this up for us.

Mohammed.....you also referenced a Bug or Bugs you have discovered

in this process, can you please link them up as well.

Thanks again! Great work.

Rob

View solution in original post

38 Replies 38

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Kristine,

As far as Licensing goes,only an upgrade to a new "train" requires the Software Feature License. So for example;

CUCM 7.0(x) to 7.1(x) = No

CUCM 6.(x) to 7.0(x) = Yes

So in your case, you should be good to go

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks so much for the reply.  You're the best.

Kristine

Hi Kristine,

You are most welcome my friend!

Good luck on your upgrade

Cheers!

Rob

Well all was going good until I got a licensing error.  I checked the license report and found that I no longer had any node licenses.  I opened a TAC and I am waiting to hear back from them but does anybody know how to fix this?  Do I need to get new license files?

Thanks

Kristine

Hi Kristine,

Sorry to hear this

Cisco Licensing is very,very good about re-homing these licenses when required. Just send an email to;

licensing@cisco.com

Something like this;

We recently upgraded our CUCM cluster and have somehow lost our Node licenses, they were tied to original PAK xxxxxxxxxxx. We have 1 Publisher Node and x Subscriber Nodes and now require the license to be homed to our Publisher MAC AAABBBCCCDDD accordingly.

Here is the pertinent info;

End User Name - Bobmart.com

Legal Address

City,Country

Purchase Order Number - 111111

Sales Order Number - 2222333

Bill to ID - xxxxx

Ship to ID - xxxxxxxxx

Thanks in advance for all your help with this! Can you please email the new license to:

kristine@mart.ca

Hope this helps!

Rob

Kristine did you get this straightened out?  I'm looking at doing the exact same upgrade this weekend and just wanted to make sure I didn't have to get a new license file.

Thanks,

Gates

I have not gotten this straightened out yet. I was going to open another TAC case to find out if I may be running into a bug having to do with too many license files. I found it the other day and forgot to save the bug id and couldn't find it again yesterday.

I was told that my licenses should be good from the licensing team. I'll post again after opening the TAC case.

Did you just switch your version back to 7.02 when it failed?

No. I was issued a temporary license from TAC and its about to expire

so I need to get this figured out soon.

Kristine,

What happened with your licenses that you had to get a temporary one?  Just to confirm there is no upgrade license file going from 7.0.2 to 7.1.3?

Thanks,

Gates

Hi all,

I am in exact the same situation right now.  I upgraded my CUCM version from 7.0. (2) to 7.1(3) and got the Node license error.

I contacted Cisco TAC yesterday and one of the Cisco TAC licensing team told me I have to order new License as upgraded CUCM 7.0 to 7.1 and need to contact my account manager , I was shocked as I did my homework before upgrading.

After arguing for 5 minutes I convinced him that I do not have to order and asked if I can get escalation to support team.

I received another e-mail from Cisco TAC this morning and I have to perform a work around to fix the issue, see below.

I will be trying this today.

I hope this helps,

Mohammed

================================================

Hi Mohammad,

Please run the following workaround:

1- restart the Cisco License Manager from the Control Center - Network Services.

If the restart didn't work, then we need to delete all the licenses and add them once again.

We can delete all the licenses by running the following commands:

Login to the CUCM through CLI

Run the following command:

File delete license */

Then upload all the license files, and then restart only the Cisco License Manager, this will solve the issue for sure. But we don't need to restart the whole server, we only need to restart the Cisco License Manager.

Please inform me with the results.

Mohammad,

Thanks for the post.  I keep getting conflicting answers about the licensing.  When I contact the licensing team one person is telling me I don't need one but then another is processing my upgrade.

Did they give you a temp license or did you switch back to the other partition?

Please post an update after you do it so I can proceed with my upgrade.

Thanks,

Gates

Gates,

I asked but I wasnt able to get a temp LIC. i havent switched back to prevous partition yet.

i was lucky this is a new install and it is not in production yet. it will be in production in 5 days and i need to resolve it ASAP.

I upgraded as i found a bug during my testing.

Thanks

Mohammed

Mine's in production so I'm being a little more cautious.  Please post what your outcome is so I know what to look out for.

Thanks,

Gates

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: