cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN setup with a WRVS4400N

leifwright
Level 1
Level 1

I need help with setting up a VLAN correctly.  I have a WRVS4400N V2 with the latest firmware.  Here is what I am trying to achieve:

I want to setup 1 SSID for my office staff to access the Internet and our servers with and a second SIDD for visitors to access the Internet only with.

I have everything setup and working fine for the office.  All of our portable devices can access the Internet and our servers.  Now I need to setup a public SSID, I am not sure what I need to do to make it where devices attach to it can only see the Internet.  I assume I need to create a VLAN and attach it to the SSID, but the documentation on the VLAN settings is not clear and I already locked myself out once trying to set one up.  Can someone give me some advice?

Is there any good documentation on how to configure VLAN's with this router?  I have some other situations that a VLAN to segregate ports would also be helpful.  There are times I would like to keep traffic from one area of the building from crossing the physical ports on the router and competing with other high traffic areas during special events.

Thanks in advance

2 Replies 2

juunda
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings:

I believe what you need to do is set each SSID with a different wireless security encryption or one with security and the other without, for example

SSID: Office   WPA2 Personal.

SSID: Guest  WEP 64 bits.  *OR NO SECURITY*

So then under the  wireless security settings you select the one thats gonna be GUEST and disable the Wireless Isolation (between SSID w/o VLAN)

Then on the next setting you choose the security mode or leave it without security and enable Wireless Isolation (within SSID)

After that you will notice that GUEST network should not be able to ping any other machine/server/device locally but only find it's way out to the internet.

I don't believe you need to do anything with Vlans at all.

Give this a try and let me know how it works.

mmendes
Level 1
Level 1

I just recently had the same experience. What needs to be done is to simply create a second VLAN, then assign the "Public" SSID to it. You can leave the VLAN config at the default settings, buit there is a setting that needs to be changed that is a little hard to find. You need to goto "setup", then "advanced routing". At the bottom of the page is a setting for "Inter-VLAN Routing". This needs to be disabled in order to keep the two VLANS seperated from each other.

Hope this helps somebody out there!

WRVS4400N.JPG

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: