cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2 email servers

gabedellaquila
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, right now we have a C350 and a Groupwise server; we want to migrate to Exchange, but before doing it we need to test it. Basically what we want to do now, is to add the new server in our network, and configure the C350 to route the mail for a specific group (AD Group?) to the new server.
Is it possible? How?

Thank you
Gabe

6 Replies 6

Donald Nash
Level 3
Level 3

This is best done with a content filter. Unfortunately, the content filter rules for checking recipients for membership in an LDAP group are message-based rather than recipient-based. This means that if just one recipient is in the LDAP group then all recipients will be affected by the action; the message will not be splintered. So you'd need to create a new incoming policy and list the specific "guinea pig" recipients in the policy itself. That will cause the message to be splintered. Once you've created the policy, the content filter is pretty simple. It doesn't need any conditions, since you're handling that in the policy. The only action you need is "Send to Alternate Destination Host", which is how you'd route it to your Exchange server.

Warning: I've never tried this, so proceed with care.

That should work, I have created such a setup several times and never had any problems:

- create LDAP group query (if it doesn't exist yet)

- create incoming mail policy for the test users. Add the LDAP group as recipients in this policy (specify the full group DN)

- create an incoming content filter with action deliver to alternate host, without conditions and link that filter to the test users mail policy

Because of the separate mail policy, splintering will occur so that messages with multiple recipients are treated correctly.

Oh yeah, I forgot all about using LDAP to define the incoming mail policy. My bad.

gabedellaquila
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you guys, i will try the LDAP solution. Thank you very much

gabedellaquila
Level 1
Level 1

I have another question: is this solution valid also for internal mail? I think that internal mail doesn't go through ironport

Yes, you can use the same idea when the mail originates internally.

You'll probably need to use the private listener in combination with the Outgoing Mail Policy and Outgoing Content Filters and LDAP.