Views
Helpful
Replies

Memory utilization in ASA 5520

nagabhushana.k
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have two Cisco ASA 5520 firewalls (Active/Standby) running with software version 8.0.4.32 version and ASDM version 6.0(3).

I have encountered a problem while changing configuration using ASDM. The screenshot of the error has been attached.

So, I have issued some commands to see the memory utilization on firewalls. Outputs suggest that used memory is 99%. Finally took output of commands show run threat-detection, show run all threat-detection & show processes memory. All these commands outputs are also attached.

Is upgrade of memory the only solution in this situation or any other workaround possible (like clearing threat-detection)?

If all threat detections are cleared, will it affect normal working of firewall adversly?

Thanks & Regards,

Bhushan

1 Reply 1

Parminder Sian
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Bhushan,

The threat detection feature consists of different levels of statistics gathering for various threats, as well as scanning threat detection, which determines when a host is performing a scan. Turn off this feature to consume less memory.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_tech_note09186a008009491c.shtml#memory

I guess your best bet is to get more memory or turn off this feature.

NOTE:- Normal operation of firewall wont be hampered If you turn off this feature.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Parminder Sian

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card