cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

lms-3.2-win-eval.exe fails on 2003 R2 server (installshield issue)

Michel Hegeraat
Level 7
Level 7

I have a customer where the lms-3.2-win-eval.exe fails to run. It doesn't even start the installation, it probably fails to meet some installshield requirement.

error.gif

The lms-3.1-win-eval.exe that was still on the server doesn't have this issue.

Of course I'm local administrator.

I opened a tac case but its not getting me anywhere.

The engineer doesn't want to investigate installshield but instead wants me the verify if the server meets the requirements, redownload the exe and reboot the server. But I've already done that twice and the server is running LMS 3.1 just fine for almost a year now.

I noticed it has this behavior on all 2003 servers (virtuals and real) but not on the XP PC's. I think a policy somewhere prevents the new installer to work.

Does anyone know how the force the installshield in a debug mode? I need to see what stops it from running. I found this at the installshield site but I don't really know what they are on about. I don't know how to make such a setup.dbg file

Debugging InstallScript code requires the debug-information file Setup.dbg to be available. To debug an InstallScript project on a system other than the development system:

1. Copythe InstallScript debugger executable ISDbg.exe (located in the Systemfolder of your InstallShield distribution) to the test system, andregister it by launching the executable with the /REGSERVERcommand-line option.
  2. Copy Setup.dbg to the test system.
  3. Run Setup.exe with the command Setup.exe /d"<path>", where path is the directory containing Setup.dbg.

Alternatively does anyone know if the installer can be extracted? Getting the files out and then just running setup will work for sure.

cheers,

Michel

18 Replies 18

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Did you post a screenshot here?  If so, it didn't come through.  There are a few other things you can try before trying to take a deep dive into InstallShield.  Try doing the following:

1. Disable anti-virus.

2. Disable Windows Data Execution Prevention (DEP) from the System control panel.

3. Set the global and per-user TEMP and TMP environment variables to something short like C:\WINDOWS\TEMP.

4. Reboot.

5. Log back in as a local Administrator

6. Install from the server's console (i.e. sitting at the physical server, using VNC, or using mstsc with the /console flag).

If things still don't work, you can start the installer on a working machine, and it should extract itself to the configured TEMP directory.  You can then transfer the files to the non-working server.

Thanks Joe,

1 to 6 are done, but no joy

When I run the installer on a pc it extracts to 2 directories in my %temp%

One directory is about 453 MB

The second 34 MB

When I zip those 2 directories again (for transport) I get a zip of about 370 MB not 1.4 Gig as the installer

I'm I missing out on something?

I listed the files in the 2 directories created in the attachment

Cheers,

Michel

This looks complete, but I've never tried to do such an installation, so I don't know if the self-extracting installer does some more magic.  I typically do the extract to get at the RME device packages.  You can try running the setup.exe from the first directory to see if you get any more of a clue as to why the installation isn't starting.  I would also advise you to do this installation on the console so errors will be visible.  You should also check the Windows Event Viewer for any errors.

As a last-ditch effort, you can download Process Monitor from http://www.sysinternals.com, and watch what happens when the installer executes.

Here is something else you may want to investigate:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/exchangesvrclients/thread/1b903da5-2740-440b-a1f1-de354a5c310e

Specifically, check the UNBLOCK item, and check whether or not you're installing from a network mapped drive.  You may also be getting bit by IE enhanced security.

The target server is a w2k3 R2 on a ESX 3.5.0.  I run the installer via the VMware console.

Installation is from a local drive. I gave up remote installations a long time a go  :-)

I verified 10 times  that I was administrator and that I owned the file but I have not seen the unblock button.

I guess the mistery will remain.

What makes me wonder is that I can still execute the 3.1 installer but not the 3.2. What has changed in the installer inbetween?

installshield version for sure, but I asume their goal would be to be more and more to be as independent as possible.

I notice the 3.1 has the installer icon and the 3.2 doesn't.

Still I'm 200% sure the installer file is fine.

All w2k3 servers at ths customer that I tried have this issue. Some policy I suspect but my customer is nnot aware of this. But he is in the network team, not the server team.

Cheers,

Michel

Try uninstalling IE Enhanced Security as stated in the thread.

"To uninstall the offending component, in an XP / 2000 / 2003 systems you will need to go to the Control Panel (From the menu choose , Start, Control Panel), next choose Add/Remove Programs, then on the left side of the Add/Remove programs window you will see Add/Remove Windows components.

Click this and wait a moment, then you can scroll down and locate the IE Enhanced Security component, uncheck it and click next."

But the Process Monitor route might shed some more light on this problem.

So IE Enhanced Security is the root cause of my problem?

Could it prevent lms-3.2-win-eval.exe from running but allow lms-3.1-win-eval.exe at the same time? It seems strange.

I'm not to sure what the impact will be when I uninstall the IEEnhanced Security nor what its relation is with our issue as we don'tuse IE on the server, not during install or afterwards.but clearly its influence goes beyond IE

But if it is able to prevent execution of arbitrary exe files then it can be the source of the issue.

I'm not to sure what I should look for using Process Monitor but the exercise is quickly done

I will have to go back on site for the next try. This will be in January

I hope to try and do an LMS install from the extracted directories before then, so I have a few things to try and something to fall back on as well

I will be updating this thread when I hve been on site or manage to install from the extracted directories

Cheers,

Michel

Hi Joe, Hi all

Merry Christmas to you all.

Today I had the opportunity to check the status of the IE enhanced security on the server in my lab and a few customers where I installed the very same lms-3.2-win-eval.exe and where I have remote access.

On all 3 servers I found that the IE enhanced security configuration is installed. This has however not prevented me from running the lms-3.2-win-eval.exe.

IE enhanced.gif

This is the error I get at the customer site imediately after starting the lms-3.2-win-eval.exe.

error.gif

I asume some policy could be blocking the install but why would it still allow me to run the lms-3.1-win-eval.exe and not the lms-3.2-win-eval.exe?

Bottom line for me is that some installshield requirement has changed between version 3.1 and 3.2.

The development guys at cisco that make the installer should be aware of any new requirements and make them available or at least provide some way to debug the installer.

I've tried in all sorts of ways to unpack the installer but the directories I get never match up the the 1.5 Gigabyte of the installler.

I get to about 0.5 Gigabyte. It would be strange to distribute a 1.5 Gigabyte installler if only one third is actually valid.

I feel everything but confident to go back on site in January as I don't have anything to go, no way to debug anything.

I hope someone has an idea about this.....

Cheers,

Michel

Hi Joe, Hi everybody,

Merry Christmas to you all.

Today I had the opportunity to check the status of the IE enhanced security on the server in my lab and a few customers where I installed the very same lms-3.2-win-eval.exe and where I have remote access.

On all 3 servers I found that the IE enhanced security configuration is installed. This has however not prevented me from running the lms-3.2-win-eval.exe.

IE enhanced.gif

This is the error I get at the customer site imediately after launching the lms-3.2-win-eval.exe .

error.gif

It's possible that some domain policy at the customer site is blocking the install but why would it prevent me from running the lms-3.2-win-eval.exe and allow running the lms-3.1-win-eval.exe

The bottom line is that some installshield requirement has changed from version 3.1 to 3.2

The development guys at cisco that make the installer should be aware of the new requirements and make them available or at least provide some way to debug the installer.

I have tried in all sorts of ways to unpack the installer but the resulting directories don't match up in size to the 1.5 Gigabyte installer.

The most I get is about 0.5 Gigabyte

Unless there is a complete other directory to install on windows server 2008 in there I definitely miss out on something.

I feel everything but confident to go back on site in January as I have no alternative way to install lms 3.2 and no way to debug anything whatsoever.

I hope someone has an idea....

Cheers,

Michel

In my second post on this thread, I recommended you try Process Monitor.  This should show exactly what is causing the permissions problem.  It's certainly the next thing I would try at this point.

Thanks Joe,

Indeed you have mentioned that.

I've only regularly used "process explorer" and "autoruns" from the sysinternals suite.

I recall that "process monitor" is providing a lot of data.

Can you tell me what I should be looking for here?

Can I limit the debugging to the lms-3.2-win-eval.exe and it child processes?

I've tried on my PC to run the lms-3-2-Win-eval.exe while process monitor is running but it almost instantly goes

process monitor.gif

so I guess I need to limit the amount of events.

Any advise one this?

Cheers,

Michel

Thanks Joe,

I've only regularly used "process explorer" and "autoruns" from the sysinternals suite.

I've tried on my PC to run the lms-3-2-Win-eval.exe while process monitor is running but it almost instantly goes

process monitor.gif

so I gues I need to limit the amount of events

Any advise on that?

Cheers,

Michel

Thanks Joe,

process monitor.gif

so I gues I need to limit the amount of events

Any advise on that?

Cheers,

Michel

I tried with this filter

process monitor filter.gif

but it gives the same out of memory error.

Cheers,

Michel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: