cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Relocate Comm Server Directory with Unity 4.2

nshoe18
Level 1
Level 1

We have aUnity 4.2 install and looking through the server it appears that the c drive is about to run out fo space as the Comm Server Directory is located there as well as the remainder of the OS files. I am wondering if the comm server directory can be reloacted to the d drive which has more than enough space and if there are any other unity specific directories that coule be moved as well to help free up some space.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Bradford Magnani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Once Unity is installed, the Commserver directory cannot be moved as that's where the Unity application is installed and where the registry is pointing to.  I would suggest finding out what is taking up all of the space on C: by doing a search of the entire server for *.* and then sorting by size.  Then go from there.

Hope that helps,

Brad

View solution in original post

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can move SQL databases fairly easy.   Dismount, remount on the D drive.  But you probably have a bigger problem.   Commserv on the C dirve is bad.  Most of the C drives on the Platform disc is only  12 megs if I remember right.    You will eventually eat up 12 megs just with the OS and patches, etc.

If its Voicemail only, you can also move the Exchange logs, priv and pub db to the D drive also.    If it is VM only, the exchange logs only will eat the drive up if its not backed up.   Log files do not delete unless you turn on circular logging or actually back up the server so they are marked for deletion.

hope this helps

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Bradford Magnani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Once Unity is installed, the Commserver directory cannot be moved as that's where the Unity application is installed and where the registry is pointing to.  I would suggest finding out what is taking up all of the space on C: by doing a search of the entire server for *.* and then sorting by size.  Then go from there.

Hope that helps,

Brad

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can move SQL databases fairly easy.   Dismount, remount on the D drive.  But you probably have a bigger problem.   Commserv on the C dirve is bad.  Most of the C drives on the Platform disc is only  12 megs if I remember right.    You will eventually eat up 12 megs just with the OS and patches, etc.

If its Voicemail only, you can also move the Exchange logs, priv and pub db to the D drive also.    If it is VM only, the exchange logs only will eat the drive up if its not backed up.   Log files do not delete unless you turn on circular logging or actually back up the server so they are marked for deletion.

hope this helps

Tray Stoutmeyer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I guess it would be good to also know what specifically is eating up the drive? A quick way to get some space fast is to delete all the uninstall files that Windows Update leaves behind. Go to the C:\Windows directory and make sure you have show hidden files and folders enable in the folder view. You should see a bunch of files like this one..

$NtUninstallKB958869$

Remove all those files that start with $ and it should immedately add some needed space to the C drive. Other then that, we would need to also know if SQL is on that drive (maybe the SQL logs need to be shrunk) and if Exchagne is on that drive in C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\mdbdata. If so, you can sometimes move the mdbdata and mtadata files to the D drive. You can also move the SQL to the D drive per previous responses here.

Hope this helps.

Tray

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: