Views
Helpful
Replies

CCM 7 and Attendant Console

tom
Level 1
Level 1

Guys:

I understand that Cisco is going to start charging for Attendant Consoles with CCM version 7. I have 395 Attendant Console users.

Most of my AC console users use their AC consoles to monitor the phones in their department. The AC console gives them a sense of control where they can see who is on the phone for excessive periods time. They also use the console for transfers.

These users do not even logon to the AC console.

Can anyone suggest at a low cost or free third party alternative with no license fees?

Thanks, Tom

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can still use AC console in 7.1 if you are upgrading from a previous version.  However, it is not supported for greenfield installations.  At some point, not sure of date (may already have passed) - the built-in AC will no longer be supported by TAC and in coming releases (e.g., 8.0), it will no longer work as those services will be removed/pulled from the code.

I do not have a suggestion on any alternatives that are free and integrate with CUCM.

View solution in original post

No, I am saying that the built-in Attendant Console in CUCM (been there since 3.x days) can still be used in 7.x.  However, it is not supported in a greenfield installation.  So, if you are upgrading from 4x to 7x and you use the current, free, AC application in CUCM then you can still use it in 7.1.  However, it will no longer be supported by TAC (at some point) and will be stripped from the appllication in the 8.0 release.  So, at that point - it won't work, period.

The CUAE products are the new, off-box products that Cisco OEM's to customers as a replacement for the old AC application built into the CUCM software.  If you are a new customer (greenfield), you are technically not supposed to use the AC plug-in application.  Your options from Cisco would be to purchase one of these OEM products.  If you are upgrading, you are encouraged to migrate away from the plug-in application.

Make sense?

You are currently using the Attendant Console plug-in application in 6.x, correct?  If so, it is still there in the 7.x code.  However, you will need to reinstall the new plug-in on the PC's that use the AC console plug-in.

Again, the caveat is that ultimately this product and it's code will be stripped from CUCM.  At that point, you will need to pay for a replacement product because what you currently use will not work unless you stay on an old version of CUCM forever.

If you search on the Cisco site, you should be able to find the official EOL notice for the AC plug-in application.

Here you go - I pulled this from a 7.x.  Excerpt below:

"If you are upgrading from a compatible Cisco CallManager 4.X release or a compatible Cisco Unified Communications Manager 5.X, 6.X, or 7.X release to Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 7.1(x), you can continue to use the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Attendant Console. As automated within the Cisco Unified Communications Manager upgrade process, the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Attendant Console plug-in will remain viewable from the Find and List Plugins window in Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration 7.1(x).

Be aware, however, that Cisco no longer supports the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Attendant Console with new installations of Cisco Unified Communications Manager 7.X. For new installations, the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Attendant Console plug-in does not display in the Find and List Plugins window in Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration.

If you previously obtained the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Attendant Console 7.0(x) plug-in from the Cisco software download site, you can use that plug-in with Cisco Unified Communications Manager 7.1(x) but only for upgrades of a compatible Cisco Unified Communications Manager 5.X, 6.X, or 7.X release to Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 7.1(x). Cisco Systems does not authorize the use of the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Attendant Console 7.0(x) plug-in with new Cisco Unified Communications Manager 7.X installations, and its use does not get supported by the Cisco Technical Assistance Center.

If you need attendant console functionality after a Cisco Unified Communications Manager 7.X installation/upgrade, Cisco recommends that you use the Cisco Unified Business Attendant Console, Cisco Unified Enterprise Attendant Console, or the Cisco Unified Department Attendant Console."

For More Information

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Attendant Console End of Life and End of Sale Announcement—http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6789/ps7046/ps7282/end_of_life_notice_c51-499091.html

16 Replies 16

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can still use AC console in 7.1 if you are upgrading from a previous version.  However, it is not supported for greenfield installations.  At some point, not sure of date (may already have passed) - the built-in AC will no longer be supported by TAC and in coming releases (e.g., 8.0), it will no longer work as those services will be removed/pulled from the code.

I do not have a suggestion on any alternatives that are free and integrate with CUCM.

Dear: Sir

I am really worried about the cost though..

From what I have heard..it is very costly...with Ver 7

Cisco Unified Business Attendant Console
Cisco Unified Enterprise Attendant Console $2400 per seat
Cisco Unified Department Attendant Console $1000 to $1500 per seat

Are you saying there is no License fee if you all ready have it.

Thanks tom

No, I am saying that the built-in Attendant Console in CUCM (been there since 3.x days) can still be used in 7.x.  However, it is not supported in a greenfield installation.  So, if you are upgrading from 4x to 7x and you use the current, free, AC application in CUCM then you can still use it in 7.1.  However, it will no longer be supported by TAC (at some point) and will be stripped from the appllication in the 8.0 release.  So, at that point - it won't work, period.

The CUAE products are the new, off-box products that Cisco OEM's to customers as a replacement for the old AC application built into the CUCM software.  If you are a new customer (greenfield), you are technically not supposed to use the AC plug-in application.  Your options from Cisco would be to purchase one of these OEM products.  If you are upgrading, you are encouraged to migrate away from the plug-in application.

Make sense?

Sir....thank you once again...

So I am on CM 6.1.4 right know and have many AC consoles that I have always had.

If upgrade to CM 7.x...I won't have to pay for my AC consoles?

Thanks Tom

You are currently using the Attendant Console plug-in application in 6.x, correct?  If so, it is still there in the 7.x code.  However, you will need to reinstall the new plug-in on the PC's that use the AC console plug-in.

Again, the caveat is that ultimately this product and it's code will be stripped from CUCM.  At that point, you will need to pay for a replacement product because what you currently use will not work unless you stay on an old version of CUCM forever.

If you search on the Cisco site, you should be able to find the official EOL notice for the AC plug-in application.

Here you go - I pulled this from a 7.x.  Excerpt below:

"If you are upgrading from a compatible Cisco CallManager 4.X release or a compatible Cisco Unified Communications Manager 5.X, 6.X, or 7.X release to Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 7.1(x), you can continue to use the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Attendant Console. As automated within the Cisco Unified Communications Manager upgrade process, the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Attendant Console plug-in will remain viewable from the Find and List Plugins window in Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration 7.1(x).

Be aware, however, that Cisco no longer supports the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Attendant Console with new installations of Cisco Unified Communications Manager 7.X. For new installations, the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Attendant Console plug-in does not display in the Find and List Plugins window in Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration.

If you previously obtained the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Attendant Console 7.0(x) plug-in from the Cisco software download site, you can use that plug-in with Cisco Unified Communications Manager 7.1(x) but only for upgrades of a compatible Cisco Unified Communications Manager 5.X, 6.X, or 7.X release to Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 7.1(x). Cisco Systems does not authorize the use of the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Attendant Console 7.0(x) plug-in with new Cisco Unified Communications Manager 7.X installations, and its use does not get supported by the Cisco Technical Assistance Center.

If you need attendant console functionality after a Cisco Unified Communications Manager 7.X installation/upgrade, Cisco recommends that you use the Cisco Unified Business Attendant Console, Cisco Unified Enterprise Attendant Console, or the Cisco Unified Department Attendant Console."

For More Information

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Attendant Console End of Life and End of Sale Announcement—http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6789/ps7046/ps7282/end_of_life_notice_c51-499091.html

Cisco Unified Attendant Console will officially be gone in UCM 8.0 which is due out Q1CY10. For those customers upgrading from previous versions, 7.x will be the last product release that includes this functionality.

The correct replacement for this is actually Cisco Unified Presence with Personal Communicator. This would allow users to monitor the status [presence] of others in their department or elsewhere in the organization.

Ray Ryan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Tom

As an option, you may want to take a look at iQ NetSolutions' VistaPoint Console. Although our Console does not provide the call queuing and routing that the Cisco consoles provide, we do offer a nice alternative and have been providing Consoles for Cisco customers since v3.4 CCM.

The MLP per Console is $695.00: http://www.box.net/shared/uzmhpf25f3

I would be happy to answer any questions you may have and can provide a 30-day eval copy.

Ray Ryan

iQ NetSolutions

rryan@iqnsi.com

Ray Ryan
Level 1
Level 1

Forgot to mention that we also offer a scaled-down version of the Console Companion called Desktop Companion. This is designed for back-up operators and contact center agents that do not need all the features typically found in an Attendant Console. Where the Console retails for $695.00, the Desktop Companion retails for $50.00 per seat. Keep in mind that we use concurrent licensing so you can deploy where you need them to be available,

Also wanted to let everyone know that our Cisco Partner Space is up and running. This is a very cool concept that Cisco has introduced and you will be seeing more of it over the next few months...we are very excited to be participating in this new approach to marketing Cisco-related products and services.

iQ NetSolutions' Partner Space: https://www.ciscopartnerspace.com/CiscoRedir/LaunchCPS.htm?IDI=B58706

I upgraded CM version 4.0 to 7.0, but  I can not find the plug-in into CM plug-in download page.

Somebody could show me Where I could find this software, in the Cisco download area?

Thanks

Hi Emilio,

If you are upgrading from a compatible Cisco CallManager 4.X release or a compatible Cisco Unified Communications Manager 5.X, 6.X, or 7.X release to Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 7.1(x), you can continue to use the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Attendant Console. As automated within the Cisco Unified Communications Manager upgrade process, the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Attendant Console plug-in will remain viewable from the Find and List Plugins window in Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration 7.1(x).

Installing Plug-ins

Tip After Cisco Unified Communications Manager upgrades, you must reinstall all plug-ins except the Cisco CDR Analysis and Reporting plug-in.

Before you install any plug-ins, disable all intrusion detection or antivirus services that run on the server where you plan to install the plug-in.

Perform the following procedure to install any plug-in.

Procedure

Step 1 Choose Application > Plugins.

The Find and List Plugins window displays. Records from an active (prior) query may also display in the window.

Step 2 To find all records in the database, ensure the dialog box is empty; go to Step 3.

To filter or search records

From the first drop-down list box, select a search parameter.

From the second drop-down list box, select a search pattern.

From the third drop-down list box, select Application Menu, Installation, User Menu, or Telecaster Menu.

Specify the appropriate search text, if applicable.

Note To add additional search criteria, click the + button. When you add criteria, the system searches for a record that matches all criteria that you specify. To remove criteria, click the - button to remove the last added criterion or click the Clear Filter button to remove all added search criteria.

Step 3 Click Find.

All matching records display. You can change the number of items that display on each page by choosing a different value from the Rows per Page drop-down list box.

Note To reverse the sort order, click the up or down arrow, if available, in the list header.

Step 4 Click Download for the plug-in you want to install.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/7_1_2/ccmcfg/b07plug.html

Cheers!

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your extensive explanation, but after upgrade, the plug-in do not appear on Applications > Plug-in, maybe because there is not direct upgrade between 4.0 and 7.0, and I had do an intermediate upgrade to version 6. I do not know...

I read that is possible download the plug-in from Cisco Web page, but I did not find it..

Best regards.

The AC plug in was removed from CUCM 7.x, if you have AC installed you can still use it with CUCM 7.x, but will not but supported with CUCM 8.x so when you upgrade you will loose this functionality.  AC is also EoL so you should start planning a replacement.

The CUxAC is a great alternative with many new and exciting features.

You can still find AC client on the URL: https://YOUR_CCM_ADDR:8443/plugins/CiscoAttendantConsoleClient.exe

Setup as usuall, server side is present and working.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: