cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unknown Device Type in CM

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

My Campus Manager is not properly identifying one of my switches. The device is a Catalyst 3548 running 12.0(5.2):

Whitesnake#sh ver
Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
IOS (tm) C3500XL Software (C3500XL-C3H2S-M), Version 12.0(5.2)XU, MAINTENANCE INTERIM SOFTWARE
Copyright (c) 1986-2000 by cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Mon 17-Jul-00 18:29 by ayounes
Image text-base: 0x00003000, data-base: 0x00301F3C

ROM: Bootstrap program is C3500XL boot loader

Whitesnake uptime is 5 weeks, 4 days, 18 hours, 2 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System image file is "flash:c3500XL-c3h2s-mz-120.5.2-XU.bin"

cisco WS-C3548-XL (PowerPC403) processor (revision 0x01) with 16384K/1024K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FAA0423J10S, with hardware revision 0x00
Last reset from power-on

Management station to device reports it is reachable for both telnet and snmp read and write. snmpwalk of sysbjectID reports:

The following is a SNMP walk of device 10.10.96.7 starting from sysObjectID

SNMP Walk Output
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sysObjectID

RFC1213-MIB::sysObjectID.0 = OID: CISCO-PRODUCTS-MIB::cat3548XL

or, with numercial output chosen:

The following is a SNMP walk of device 10.10.96.7 starting from sysObjectID

SNMP Walk Output
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sysObjectID

.1.3.6.1.2.1.1.2.0 = OID: .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.278

The Supported Device Table indicates that this sysObjectID is supported.

I am running everything at the latest patch levels. Specifically, my CM is Version 5.2.1 and my CM Devcice Package is 6.0. Yet, the device remains"unknown":

unknown.PNG

6 Replies 6

Nael Mohammad
Level 5
Level 5

The most common error for unknown devices is the SNMP community string not being set correctly. Verify that its showing up correctly under the Common Services ---> Devices and Credential Management --->Device Management --> Expand All Devices and search for the problematic device and update the credential and snmp RO and RW community strings.

Then re-run data collection and launch topology services.

If the above steps does not work, get the following information.

1. Enable debug from data collection under Campus Manager ---> Administration ---> Debugging Options --> Data Collection and select the "topo module". Also enable Debug under Campus Manager ---> Administration --> Debugging Options --> Topology and change Debug level to "trace".

2. Start a new data collection.

3. Launch Topology Map again.

4. Upload the ani.log file from CSCOpx/log/ani.log

5. From the Java Console, copy and paste the outputs to a text file.

-nael

I re-applied my credentials as you suggested. That had no effect on my CM not resolving this host.

So I turned on the debugging as you asked. I then re-ran data collection from Campus Manager home, system status, start data collection. The data collection is still not finishing after two hours, so I'll post results when it finally does.

1. Stop CiscoWorks services .
2. Backup your existing  CSCOpx/campus/etc/cwsi/devices.xml file.
3. Add the following string   ""
to the CSCOpx/campus/etc/cwsi/devices.xml file under Cat 3500XL family.
4. Start the CiscoWorks services.
5. Verify if the device is still questioned.

Thanks but that string was already present in the xml file.As an aside, it's a blast from the past to see the CWSI reference in there in the file structure. Hmm, I wonder is VLAN Director kicking around under the covers too?

Meanwhile it seems the next scheduled data collection took care of correctly identifying the device. Perhaps it got tired of me kicking at it.

Thanks for your help. Now I need to start a new thread on my next issue - CSS's not showing up as connected even thought they're CDP neighbors....

Thanks for the update, most likely the data collection resolved the issue for you. In case you enabled the debugs, you will need to disable it.

Happy Holidays,

-nael

Thanks, Nael. I did go back and disable the debugging.