cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Update cisco switch

Paul_Rydings
Level 1
Level 1

I am new to cisco but have to update a coupe of switches which arew catalyst3560 SERIES PoE-24 currently running IOS software release 12.2(35)SE5, what tar file do I want to download and install? and will it require a reboot?

Thank you

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

First, the easy bit.  Yes it will require a reboot.  If you do a "sh version" what feature set does it say?  IP Services, IP Base, etc.?  Download the same one.

You have two methods of upgrading the IOS:

1.  GUI or Cisco Network Assistant; and
2.  CLI

When deciding what version you should use, go through the Release Notes of the particular version to determine if you will be hitting some of the bugs identified.  The Release Notes will also contain steps in upgrading the IOS using either one of the two methods I've mentioned.  Look for the section called "Upgrading a Switch by Using the Device Manager or Network Assistant" or "Upgrading a Switch by Using the CLI".

For example: 
Upgrading a Switch by Using the Device Manager or Network Assistant
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_53_se/release/notes/OL21141.html#wp909639

Upgrading a Switch by Using the CLI
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_53_se/release/notes/OL21141.html#wp559616

Paul_Rydings
Level 1
Level 1

sorry I was doing it form the cisco network assistant not command line and believe I needed a tar file?

burleyman
Level 8
Level 8

It depends on a few things. What is the exact model? Post the whole WS-......number. Also you will need to know how much memory. Next you will need to know what services you require. And you will also need a Cisco ID to access the downloads.

Based on what little I know the newest release is 12.2.53-SE

Post more information if you can.

Mike

The product ID is WS-C3560-24PS, I created a cisco ID and that is the file I downloaded but wasn't certain so haven't run it yet.

Hi Paul

You might need this file:

c3560-ipbase-tar.122-53.SE.tar  -

Catalyst 3560 IP base image file and device manager files. This image has Layer 2+ and basic Layer 3 routing features.

if the existing IOS is ipservices, there are associated tar files which you can download;

one thing to note -

Cisco IOS 12.2(50)SE & above,  is only compatible with Cisco Network Assistant (CNA) 5.0 and later. You can download Cisco Network Assistant from this URL:

http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/NetworkAssistant

Hope this helps.. all the best

Raj

Are you currently running

ipbase

ipbasek9

ipbaselm

ipbaselmk9

ipservices

ipservicesk9

ipserviceslm

ipserviceslmk9

I would go with the same on which ever you are running.

Mike

Thank you ot both of you, I have teh software now and will install updated assistnat now and update switches after hours this evening.

Thanks Again

Paul

No problem.

Also please rate any posts that help and if any have answered your question please mark that as well. It helps others when they search the posts for solutions for an issue they may be having at the time.

Have a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card