Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How does WS-X45-Sup6L-E support NSF?

Hi,

as far as I know for using NSF in a 450xR with two supervisor engines you need an IOS which supports a dynamic routing protocol like OSPF or BGP.

In the data sheet of a Sup6 Light I already read that NSF is supported, but this sup does not support dynamic routing protocols.

Does anybody know if NSF is working on the Sup6 Light when I use two 450xRE chassis with each two sups and static routing?

Best Regards,

Thorsten

7 Replies 7

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Thorsten,

your understarding is correct.

In the datasheet there is a limited support of dynamic routing protocols with IP base image.

This support is not provided with LAN base image but there is an option to upgrade to IP base image.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps4324/data_sheet_c78-530856.html

>> Cisco IOS Release 12.2(53)SG also has a LAN Base Software image with an IP Base image upgrade option

>> The LAN Base image will not support the following features currently offered in the IP Base image - 10Gig Uplinks (10G uplinks can be enabled via license WS-C4500-10G-LIC or an upgrade to IP Base Image), FHRP(HSRP/VRRP), GLBP, L2PT & QinQ, Auto QoS,EIGRP Stub, PIM SM/DM, MLD Snooping, Flex Link, PVST+, RPVST+, EPoE/PoEP, EEM, TDR, SSO,ISSU, CTS and Smartports (Role based Macros).

to be noted the upgrade to IP base image allows also to use the 10GE links

So I think that IP base image is needed to implement NSF on the device.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello Guiseppe,

we already use IP Base image, but also with this image neither ospf nor bgp is supported.

So my question is still if nsf is supported without dynamic routing protocols.

Best Regards,

Thorsten

Hello Thorsten,

I suppose you are able to read the few lines I've reported:

The LAN Base image will not support the following features currently offered in the IP Base image - 10Gig Uplinks (10G uplinks can be enabled via license WS-C4500-10G-LIC or an upgrade to IP Base Image), FHRP(HSRP/VRRP), GLBP, L2PT & QinQ, Auto QoS,EIGRP Stub, PIM SM/DM, MLD Snooping, Flex Link, PVST+, RPVST+, EPoE/PoEP, EEM, TDR, SSO,ISSU, CTS and Smartports (Role based Macros).

I didn't write that it should support BGP or OSPF, cisco declares only support of EIGRP Stub,

Happy Christmas

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello Guiseppe,

I just try to find an answer to my question:

Does anybody know if NSF is working on the Sup6 Light (with ip base image) when I use two 450xRE chassis with each two sups and static routing?

Anyway many thanks for you inputr.

Best Regards,

Thorsten

Hello Thorsten,

the answer is no because NSF requires negotiation of this capability with the neighbors that has to act as NSF helpers, they have to hide from the rest of the network that the neighbor is performing a processor switchover.

The NSF is not a protocol by itself but an extension to routing protocols so with static routes there is no way to negotiate NSF with neighbors.

Be aware that a rating of 1 is considered like giving misleading information you are not obliged to rate any post.

Happy Christmas again

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello Giuslar,

first I wish you also a delayed merry christmas and a happy new year.

I'm also thinking that nsf is not supported but in the data sheet (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps4324/data_sheet_c78-530856.html) nsf is listed in the section of supported features.

Otherwise, in the current nsf configuration guide (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/53SG/configuration/NSFwSSO.html#wp1135767) the Sup6L-E isn't listed to be nsf capable or nsf aware.

So CCO seems to be inconsistent here.

Maybe contacting the presales support is the best way to get a definitive answer.

Anyway, many thanks for your input.

Thorsten

I have found some intresting link about Sup6l-e +SSO

Sup6L-E Uplink Port Design

http://www.ciscosystems.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Medium_Enterprise_Design_Profile/chap2.html#wp1103146

But for me this picture

But I have one question depend this picture.

if I do not want to aggregate Te3/1 Te4/1 to port-group?

Can I configure uplink on different Sup as different routed port to connect different L3 core (I have no VSS on core). After that I can use IGRP stub for example?

int Te3/1
    no switchport
    ip address 10.0.3....

!

int Te4/1
    no switchport
    ip address 10.0.4....
!
Also if YES can I use one Sup6l-e[1] uplink as 10 Gig and other Sup6l-e[2] as twin gig convertor

int Te3/1
    no switchport
    ip address 10.0.3....

!
int Gi4/1
    no switchport
    ip address 10.0.4....
!
int Gi4/2
    no switchport
    ip address 10.0.6....
!

Sergiy Pyvovaroff.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco