Views
Helpful
Replies

Stack switch reboot

pmpesha
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

Let say, I have two switch stack (3750).  Can I upgrade and reboot one switch at a time?  Thank you.

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

You can use reload slot stack-member-number to reset the stack member.

but, you should always use the same IOS version for the entire stack

form the config guide:

All stack members must run the same Cisco IOS software version to ensure compatibility in the stack protocol version among the members

Here is more info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_50_se/configuration/guide/swstack.html#wp1189553

Use a Tar file to upgrade the entire stack and reboot.

HTH

Reza

Thanks Reza, I already know the basics of stacks witches.  What I usually do, is upgrade with tar file and then reboot the entire stack.  I will test the reload slot stack id command in the lab to verify how effective it is.  All I want to do, after downloading and extracting the tar file, is to reboot the primary switch, and once that is up, proceed with rebooting the secondary.  I know after rebooting the primary, we will have two versions of IOS, will this be an issue before I reboot the secondary?  Thank you.

Then, you will have 2 different versions of IOS  and Switches with different major version numbers are incompatible and cannot exist in the same stack.

Also, switches with the same major version number but with a different minor version number as the master are considered partially compatible. When connected to a stack, a partially compatible switch enters version-mismatch mode and cannot join the stack as a fully functioning member.

Reza

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: