cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

dhcp ddns or traceroute netbios

dan.letkeman
Level 4
Level 4

I'm running dhcp on some of our 3560 switches for different vlan's.  I'm needing to have some way to resolve the hostnames of the desktops or notebooks on various different vlans and I'm wondering what is the best way to go about this.

1.  Is there a simple way to configure switches to allow traceroute's across vlan's to resolve the netbios name of the computer when doing a traceroute from a workstation on a different subnet?

2.  IOS DHCP does not support dynamic dns.  Is there any other alternative way to update dns servers with hostnames?

2 Replies 2

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I will suggest the best is to configure dynamic dns configuration in dns server itself,it will be helpful and easier for local lan and dhcp environment.

check out the below link  for dynamic dns configuration

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816592

Hope this help !!

Regards

Ganesh.H

Yes that is what I have resorted to.  I have taken dhcp off of the switches and I have implemented ISC DHCP and it's updating our BIND servers.

Thanks,

Dan.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card