cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Flash Card Boot on 2811

gdwingnuts
Level 1
Level 1

We have a 2911 router with an embedded switch that has the IOS on a Compact Flash Card.  After configuring the router and the switch module, I save the running-config to the Flash Card.I do not write the config to NVRAM because when I turn off the router I want the configuration to be purged, due to security regulations.  So everyday I insert the Compact flash card and boot the router.  I connect a laptop via hyperterminal and then copy the config from the flash card to the startup-config and reload the router.  This works, however is there a way that the router can boot from the configuration file on the Flash and it won't save the configuration into NVRAM?  In other words, I would like to merely plug the Flash Card in and turn on the router and the configuration file is loaded.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

gdwingnuts wrote:

Your answer was very helpful, thankyou!  Another question.  If I remove the Flash Card and attempt to boot the router without it, with the boot config command in place, will it boot to its original startup-config or hang at the >rommon prompt?

Sorry, haven't used it in a while so not 100% sure but from memory it does not default to NVRAM so if you specify a location such as flash and it can't find it then it won't boot which sounds like what you want. Worth testing though.

Jon

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

gdwingnuts wrote:

We have a 2911 router with an embedded switch that has the IOS on a Compact Flash Card.  After configuring the router and the switch module, I save the running-config to the Flash Card.I do not write the config to NVRAM because when I turn off the router I want the configuration to be purged, due to security regulations.  So everyday I insert the Compact flash card and boot the router.  I connect a laptop via hyperterminal and then copy the config from the flash card to the startup-config and reload the router.  This works, however is there a way that the router can boot from the configuration file on the Flash and it won't save the configuration into NVRAM?  In other words, I would like to merely plug the Flash Card in and turn on the router and the configuration file is loaded.

Have you tried the boot config command -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/configfun/command/reference/cfr_1g01.html#wp1030573

Jon

Your answer was very helpful, thankyou!  Another question.  If I remove the Flash Card and attempt to boot the router without it, with the boot config command in place, will it boot to its original startup-config or hang at the >rommon prompt?

gdwingnuts wrote:

Sorry, haven't used it in a while so not 100% sure but from memory it does not default to NVRAM so if you specify a location such as flash and it can't find it then it won't boot which sounds like what you want. Worth testing though.

Jon

If you boot the router without a CF/USB the router will go into ROMmon.

Don't want to beat a dead horse but...  If I were to set the boot config command on my 2811 to boot to slot0: Then on one flash card have my configuration and on another flash card have the same IOS but with a different config will the router boot to which ever config (i.e., flash card) I insert? I have to remove one config and install another due to security issues each day. I'm trying to simplify this process.

If I were to set the boot config command on my 2811 to boot to slot0:
Won't work because the 2811 doesn't "recognize" slot0.

Here's an option:  IOS in a CF but your config file in USB or boot IOS from the USBslot1: and config file in CF or USBslot2:   This is possible.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card