cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Flash Card Boot on 2811

gdwingnuts
Level 1
Level 1

We have a 2911 router with an embedded switch that has the IOS on a Compact Flash Card.  After configuring the router and the switch module, I save the running-config to the Flash Card.I do not write the config to NVRAM because when I turn off the router I want the configuration to be purged, due to security regulations.  So everyday I insert the Compact flash card and boot the router.  I connect a laptop via hyperterminal and then copy the config from the flash card to the startup-config and reload the router.  This works, however is there a way that the router can boot from the configuration file on the Flash and it won't save the configuration into NVRAM?  In other words, I would like to merely plug the Flash Card in and turn on the router and the configuration file is loaded.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

gdwingnuts wrote:

Your answer was very helpful, thankyou!  Another question.  If I remove the Flash Card and attempt to boot the router without it, with the boot config command in place, will it boot to its original startup-config or hang at the >rommon prompt?

Sorry, haven't used it in a while so not 100% sure but from memory it does not default to NVRAM so if you specify a location such as flash and it can't find it then it won't boot which sounds like what you want. Worth testing though.

Jon

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

gdwingnuts wrote:

We have a 2911 router with an embedded switch that has the IOS on a Compact Flash Card.  After configuring the router and the switch module, I save the running-config to the Flash Card.I do not write the config to NVRAM because when I turn off the router I want the configuration to be purged, due to security regulations.  So everyday I insert the Compact flash card and boot the router.  I connect a laptop via hyperterminal and then copy the config from the flash card to the startup-config and reload the router.  This works, however is there a way that the router can boot from the configuration file on the Flash and it won't save the configuration into NVRAM?  In other words, I would like to merely plug the Flash Card in and turn on the router and the configuration file is loaded.

Have you tried the boot config command -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/configfun/command/reference/cfr_1g01.html#wp1030573

Jon

Your answer was very helpful, thankyou!  Another question.  If I remove the Flash Card and attempt to boot the router without it, with the boot config command in place, will it boot to its original startup-config or hang at the >rommon prompt?

gdwingnuts wrote:

Sorry, haven't used it in a while so not 100% sure but from memory it does not default to NVRAM so if you specify a location such as flash and it can't find it then it won't boot which sounds like what you want. Worth testing though.

Jon

If you boot the router without a CF/USB the router will go into ROMmon.

Don't want to beat a dead horse but...  If I were to set the boot config command on my 2811 to boot to slot0: Then on one flash card have my configuration and on another flash card have the same IOS but with a different config will the router boot to which ever config (i.e., flash card) I insert? I have to remove one config and install another due to security issues each day. I'm trying to simplify this process.

If I were to set the boot config command on my 2811 to boot to slot0:
Won't work because the 2811 doesn't "recognize" slot0.

Here's an option:  IOS in a CF but your config file in USB or boot IOS from the USBslot1: and config file in CF or USBslot2:   This is possible.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: