Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Console cable ISSUE with 2801/2811 ISRs

Hi there

I have got routers 2801/2811 ISR, in that I want to manage them via console, but I am having an issue, it's console cable is changed from traditional console cable(RJ45=======DB9) came with, the newer one is (Rj45=========USB Port), and I do not have any COM port in my PC as well, I tried to connect it with computer and connected with USB port in PC, while RJ45 in the Con 0 of router, there is also a CD along with it, I ran the setup as well, but still I am unable to connect to the router, can any one figure out the issue? How to resolve this issue, as I have tried many alternatives but no any settings found for this issue that could detect the router with USB, kindly help me out with this as well, that if I am using Windows Vista, that has no any hyperterminal in it, so how to deal with Router/Switch IOS, I mean should I use Teraterm/Secure CRT or anny built in utility is available in Vista.

Hope to make you understand well

Awaiting for the response ASAP..

Regards

Samiullah Channa

3 Replies 3

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Download Tera Term and use that works great for that . Also  buy yourself a db9 to usb converter if you don't have a com port, most newer laptops do not . This setup will work fine , use it all the time  when we have to be in the console.  Plug the console cable into the console port and the db9 end goes into the db9 to usb converter and then plug that into the usb port on your laptop or pc .

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

For some reason Microsoft decided to remove HyperTerminal from Windows Vista. Hilgraeve, the company that wrote the HyperTerminal app included in previous versions of Windows, also has a downloadable HyperTerminal Private Edition.

So if you are running Vista and need HyperTerminal to setup a CAG, router, switch, etc, you can get it below -

http://www.hilgraeve.com/htpe/download.html

And as far as issue stated by you get usb to db9 coneverter and with terterm or secure crt application you can take console for the router by selecting following parameters

• Speed - 9600
  • Data Bits - 8
  • Parity - none
  • Stop bits - 1
  • Flow Control - none

and check out the below link for USB to DB 9 converter hope that helps out tour query !!

http://www.usbgear.com/USB-Serial.html

Regards

Ganesh.H

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Samiullah,

Since you are using the USB port on your PC, try using COM 4 when setting the property on your terminal.

I also have a new laptop that does not have DB-9 on it and have to use the USB port with COM 4.

HTH

Reza

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card