cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How configure RV042 VPN for use Windows 7 native IPSec client ?

desumoyo-san
Level 1
Level 1

The question is in the title, i want to make the Windows client compatible with the VPN of my RV042 because Shrew Soft VPN fail to etablish tunel after little time and QuickVPN don't support Windows 7 or any 64 bit version of Windows.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Alejandro Gallego
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Windows does not have an IPSec client, what they offer is a VPN client that can connect to PPTP, L2TP/IPsec (over IPSec), IKEv2. To connect directly to the RV router our only option is to connect via PPTP once the PPTP server is enabled on the router. If you have a server behind the router you can configure it to be an end point for any of the above types. Not sure why, Mac, and Windows do not offer a bare IPSec feature to their built-in clients.

Some third party applications to concider:

Windows: ShrewSoft IPSec client

Mac OS X: IPSecuritas

Both are relative simple to set up and on the RV0xx routers work fantastic and are an exellent alternative to QVPN. With these applications you would set up the tunnel as a group and use the "Microsoft XP/2000 VPN  Client" option. This option is a little misleading as it seems to imply that the Native VPN client can support IPSec settings, when it is just referencing that a computer would use this option when its WAN IP address is not always known.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Shrew offers a Liux/BSD build, you can check it out here http://shrew.net/download/ike

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Alejandro Gallego
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Windows does not have an IPSec client, what they offer is a VPN client that can connect to PPTP, L2TP/IPsec (over IPSec), IKEv2. To connect directly to the RV router our only option is to connect via PPTP once the PPTP server is enabled on the router. If you have a server behind the router you can configure it to be an end point for any of the above types. Not sure why, Mac, and Windows do not offer a bare IPSec feature to their built-in clients.

Some third party applications to concider:

Windows: ShrewSoft IPSec client

Mac OS X: IPSecuritas

Both are relative simple to set up and on the RV0xx routers work fantastic and are an exellent alternative to QVPN. With these applications you would set up the tunnel as a group and use the "Microsoft XP/2000 VPN  Client" option. This option is a little misleading as it seems to imply that the Native VPN client can support IPSec settings, when it is just referencing that a computer would use this option when its WAN IP address is not always known.

Hope this helps.

Do I need separate VPN client software on the host computer?  Using Shrew, I have established a tunnel from the client computer to the RV042 at work, but I still can't establish a remote desktop connection to my particular office computer.  Do I need to install Shrew software on my particular office computer to complete the connection?  Thanks in advance.

No, once you have the tunnel connected you should be able to type the local IP of the target computer into the RDP client on your computer and connect. This is assuming that RDP is enabled on the target computer.

In other words:

Open Remote Desktop connection on your computer; type the local IP in the "Computer" field (ie. 192.168.40.23) and click connect.

So long the tunnel is configured properly this should connect with no problem.

I have a .pcf file that I used with cisco vpn client, which connects successfully. But as Cisco VPN Client does not support x64 bit OS, I am using the Shrew Soft Vpn client, installed on x64 bit Windows 7 OS, and imported the .pcf file, connects successfully as it says tunnel enabled.

But then I cannot RDP into any machines or ping to any of my machines. But then on x32bit OS I installed the Cisco VPN Client and when I connect I can RPD into any of my machines.

So if any one has any solutions, connecting successfully and RDP into any of the machines with Shrew Soft, please let me know, appreciate your help.

Hi,

Ok, sorry for mistake about Windows VPN :)

And you know any IPSEC/QuickVPN Client on linux (Client distrib is archlinux) work with RV042 router ?

Shrew offers a Liux/BSD build, you can check it out here http://shrew.net/download/ike

Hope that helps.

desumoyo-san
Level 1
Level 1

Thank, that work :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: