cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there a special command for setting a dual wan configuration?

galonga
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2514 and 2 internet connections (serial and cable) with fixed IPs each that I own.

I can get it to access the internet with either the serial connection or the cable connection: never both.

I wonder if there´s a command or especific configuration that has to be typed to create a rule to either use one as a backup connection or to manage both at the same time?

13 Replies 13

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

if you looking for utilizing both links routing  will be easiest way

lets say you have a dfault route per ISP or next hop WAN router

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 [next hop1 ip add]

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 [next hop2 ip add]

when you do show  ip route

you will see tow defaut routes this means your traffic will be load balnced but by default the load will be per flow

if you want it to be per packet

under each wan interfacedo :

ip load-share per-packet

if you want to look for more advanced features try to see the bellow document might help you as well:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8313

good luck

if helpful Rate

The example above will not work, because ISP will not route packet for addresses they have not assigned.

For this reason, NAT must be configured as in the link I've posted above.

Moreover, load sharing per-packet should never be advised.

Please refrain from responding to queries unless you have a complete and firm understanding of the scenario and related technologies.

"Please refrain from responding to queries unless you have a complete and firm understanding of the scenario and related technologies."

I appreciate the comments, but the gentleman marwanshavi at least was kind enough to give me the commands in a detailed form, whereas you just pointed me to a link.

If you really want to be useful maybe you could do something similar?

This is not a matter of kindness but a simple technical discussion.

All the commands are explained in the document linked above to which you should refer.

Actually this is not a discussion, as I´m not offering any information beyond just data to help solve my problem.

So you see, this a kind of a one way only thing in which those who provide information get nothing in return except the gratitude of those who were helped by them.

But I´m afraid either that you are not going to get, as all you have done so far is to argue and provide a link anyone could have found thru google.

Dear p.bevilacqua

first of all i know what i was talking about

but for simplicity first i guided him through the simple way which is two static route which is very easy if he using WAN links no need for nat if he is using them for Internet then the nat will be required

and for that reason i put a link with a detailed example how to be done ( created by me )

about the per pack i know it is CPU intensive but we have a customer used it and works fine ( they do not have big load on their links) with 1841 routers !!

anyway i am really thankful to the response of golanga as it is really a very nice appreciation to the help we trying to give here

bythe way  let me know if you got it working or not !

"anyway i am really thankful to the response of golanga as it is really a very nice appreciation to the help we trying to give here"

Glad to help: indeed you are being helpful instead of just looking for ego massaging like that other gentleman and I thank you.

I´ll try your setup and let you know tomorrow ok?

Cheers and thanks again!

galonga: I'm replying to marshanawi here, on a purely technical level for the sake of correctness. Considering your poor attitude, I will not interact with you further.

but for simplicity first i guided him through the simple way which is two static route which is very easy if he using WAN links no need for nat if he is using them for Internet then the nat will be required

You have not read the question in full. The OP has two internet links (his words) from two separate ISP (as can be inferred by the fact that one connection is cable, the other is serial). Consequently, NAT is necessary.

and for that reason i put a link with a detailed example how to be done ( created by me )

You are welcome to post documents as long they are 100% correct. In this case, I have not reviewed your document.

about the per pack i know it is CPU intensive but we have a customer used it and works fine ( they do not have big load on their links) with 1841 routers !!

The problem with per-packet load sharing is not the CPU load, but the fact that it generates out-of-order packet arrival, thing that you probably have not realized is happening. When you have a chance, look at the TCP retransmission statistics on the systems involved, or search the Internet for papers on the matter.

If per-packet load sharing was "better" than per-flow, Cisco would have made it the default. Unfortunately, that is not the case.

"Considering your poor attitude..."

So far all you did was discuss with the ONLY 2 other people in this thread, who btw got along very well with each other. So who´s the one with a "poor attitude"?

"...I will not interact with you further."

You had already said that and yet here you are again

i agree with your technical answers

however, if you have two WAN links from two diffrent ISPs that dose not imply or has to be internet links

that why i answered generaly first hoping to discuss more details later

anyway i am not going to describe this

again to the technical side

i am more than happy to hear your feedback about the document i did post here or any other document i put

specially from an experianced person like you

thank you

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It's easy to see that are the truly arguing person here. And that you have little will to learn by reading.

The link I have provided is the appropriate and complete answer to your question, that has satisfied thousands of other users before you.

If you're not happy with it, you're welcome to go find your answer somewhere else, as for me this discussion ends here.

galonga
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for leaving: now this thread can be used by people who are there to HELP.

Bye!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: