Is no shut required on port channel interface?

Answered Question
Dec 20th, 2009
User Badges:

Dear friends,

I am just making a config script for a vss switch.

Is it necessary to say a no shut on the port channel while creating a port channel on two physical interfaces?

I am already including a no shut on the physical interfaces in my script.

I am very sorry for the basic question but i dont have a box to test and i need to submit this script.

Thanks a lot

Gautam

Correct Answer by Giuseppe Larosa about 7 years 3 months ago

Hello Gautam,

in theory it is not needed, but I had to use no shut on port-channel interface some time ago on two C6500 with sup720.

In my case the bundle was LACP and the port-channel interface was created in shut state. To be noted that the C4500 that was at the other end of the bundle didn't need the no shut on the port-channel interface and was enough with an interface range to do no shut on member links

Even if it is not necessary, in a script I would put a " no shut" for safety.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Correct Answer by Jon Marshall about 7 years 3 months ago

gautamzone wrote:

Dear friends,

Is it necessary to say a no shut on the port channel while creating a port channel on two physical interfaces?

I am very sorry for the basic question but i dont have a box to test and i need to submit this script.

Thanks a lot

Gautam

Gautam

You should not have to do a "no shut" on the port-channel interface, just the physical ones ie. "no shut" the physical interfaces, then configure the channel-group and the port-channel should be up.

Jon

Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Correct Answer
Jon Marshall Sun, 12/20/2009 - 10:31
User Badges:
  • Super Blue, 32500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

gautamzone wrote:

Dear friends,

Thanks a lot

Gautam

Gautam

You should not have to do a "no shut" on the port-channel interface, just the physical ones ie. "no shut" the physical interfaces, then configure the channel-group and the port-channel should be up.

Jon

Correct Answer
Giuseppe Larosa Sun, 12/20/2009 - 11:36
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Hello Gautam,

in theory it is not needed, but I had to use no shut on port-channel interface some time ago on two C6500 with sup720.

In my case the bundle was LACP and the port-channel interface was created in shut state. To be noted that the C4500 that was at the other end of the bundle didn't need the no shut on the port-channel interface and was enough with an interface range to do no shut on member links

Even if it is not necessary, in a script I would put a " no shut" for safety.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

gautamzone Sun, 12/20/2009 - 11:59
User Badges:

Thanks a lot Giuseppe for your kind help. I will include it in my script

Actions

This Discussion