cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is no shut required on port channel interface?

gautamzone
Level 1
Level 1

Dear friends,

I am just making a config script for a vss switch.

Is it necessary to say a no shut on the port channel while creating a port channel on two physical interfaces?

I am already including a no shut on the physical interfaces in my script.

I am very sorry for the basic question but i dont have a box to test and i need to submit this script.

Thanks a lot

Gautam

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

gautamzone wrote:

Dear friends,

Is it necessary to say a no shut on the port channel while creating a port channel on two physical interfaces?

I am very sorry for the basic question but i dont have a box to test and i need to submit this script.

Thanks a lot

Gautam

Gautam

You should not have to do a "no shut" on the port-channel interface, just the physical ones ie. "no shut" the physical interfaces, then configure the channel-group and the port-channel should be up.

Jon

View solution in original post

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Gautam,

in theory it is not needed, but I had to use no shut on port-channel interface some time ago on two C6500 with sup720.

In my case the bundle was LACP and the port-channel interface was created in shut state. To be noted that the C4500 that was at the other end of the bundle didn't need the no shut on the port-channel interface and was enough with an interface range to do no shut on member links

Even if it is not necessary, in a script I would put a " no shut" for safety.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

gautamzone wrote:

Dear friends,

Thanks a lot

Gautam

Gautam

You should not have to do a "no shut" on the port-channel interface, just the physical ones ie. "no shut" the physical interfaces, then configure the channel-group and the port-channel should be up.

Jon

Thanks a lot Jon for the help.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Gautam,

in theory it is not needed, but I had to use no shut on port-channel interface some time ago on two C6500 with sup720.

In my case the bundle was LACP and the port-channel interface was created in shut state. To be noted that the C4500 that was at the other end of the bundle didn't need the no shut on the port-channel interface and was enough with an interface range to do no shut on member links

Even if it is not necessary, in a script I would put a " no shut" for safety.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks a lot Giuseppe for your kind help. I will include it in my script

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card