Views
Helpful
Replies

Port Aggregation with Alcatel switch

m.metwally
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I have my servers connected to only one Cisco switch (in which it represents a Single Point of Failure) which in turn, connected to our core switch - this is due to some limitations of our server room -

I have another Alcatel switch (6224) that i want to use it to make Port Aggregation with my core switch in the way described in the attached file.

Actually, I do not know how to configure that , all what I know is that I have to use LACP instead of the PAgP as it is a vendor-neutral protocol

Thanx a lot for your help

2 Replies 2

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

I assume that you would like to interconnect the 3560 core switch and the Alcatel switch using an Etherchannel. Is that so?

If yes then first, make sure that the Alcatel switch supports the LACP protocol. The LACP protocol is a supporting protocol to establish Etherchannel bundles and verify that the ports that are about to be bundled together are indeed eligible for bundling (for example, they all connect to the same neighboring device, they have the same operational characteristics and so on). You could also proceed without using any support protocol but I would not recommend that personally.

The way to create a LACP-controlled Etherchannel on a Cisco switch is to issue the following commands:

interface range fa0/1 - 4

shutdown

[ ... All config that should be the same like access/trunk etc. ... ]

channel-group 1 mode active

no shutdown

The 'active' keyword in the example makes sure that the Etherchannel will be created as LACP-controlled Etherchannel. After these commands are entered, a Port-channel1 interface will be created that represent the Etherchannel bundle. The 'shutdown' and 'no shutdown' commands are optional but in various occasions, it has proved to be a best practice when creating Etherchannel bundles.

Please come back with any questions you might have.

Best regards,

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card