Replies

Static routes redistributed by two routers doesn't appear in OSPF database

ju.mahieu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

As show in the picture below.

OSPF - Problem.jpg

I redistribute the same static routes from my two ABR-ASBR routers (RTR1 & RTR2) inside OSPF area 0 and 1. The Next Hop for every static routes is FW1.

When I'm looking the Ospf database on every devices in Backbone Area or in Area 1, only the RTR2 LSA are present.

I should see also the same LSA from RTR1, isn't it ?

If anyone can help...

regards,

Julien

-------------------------------------------

Find below the Configurations:

**** Same config For RTR1 and RTR2 ****

! Static Redistributed routes in Ospf

ip route xx.0.1.16 255.255.255.240 xx.18.225.1
ip route xx.0.2.16 255.255.255.240 xx.18.225.1

! Static-to-ospf matching

access-list 6 remark *** JUNIPER STATIC NETWORK
access-list 6 permit 55.0.0.0 0.0.255.255

! Static-to-ospf filtering

route-map STATIC-to-OSPF permit 10
match ip address 6

! Ospf config

router ospf 100
router-id xx.0.18.1
log-adjacency-changes
network xxxx area 0

network yyyy area 1
redistribute static metric 10 metric-type 1 subnets route-map STATIC-to-OSPF

Find below the Ospf Database extract from RTR1:

RTR1#sh ip ospf database external adv-router RTR1

OSPF Router with ID ($RTR1) (Process ID 100)

RTR1#sh ip ospf database external adv-router RTR2

OSPF Router with ID ($RTR1) (Process ID 100)

Type-5 AS External Link States

Routing Bit Set on this LSA in topology Base with MTID 0
  LS age: 16
  Options: (No TOS-capability, DC)
  LS Type: AS External Link
  Link State ID: xx.0.1.16 (External Network Number )
  Advertising Router: $RTR2
  LS Seq Number: 800000B6
  Checksum: 0x4C0
  Length: 36
  Network Mask: /28
        Metric Type: 1 (Comparable directly to link state metric)
        MTID: 0
        Metric: 10
        Forward Address: $FW1
        External Route Tag: 0

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi all,

I think Giuseppe pointed to the correct direction. I think your case is described in RFC2328 (Section 12.4.4.1.  Examples of AS-external-LSAs):

"In figure 16, suppose instead that both RTA and RTB exchange BGP information with RTX.  In this case, RTA and RTB would originate the same set of AS-external-LSAs.  These LSAs, if they specify the same metric, would be functionally equivalent since they would specify the same destination and forwarding address (RTX).  This leads to a clear duplication of effort.  If only one of RTA or RTB originated the set of AS-external-LSAs, the routing would remain the same, and the size of the link state database would decrease.  However, it must be unambiguously defined as to which router originates the LSAs (otherwise neither may, or the identity of the originator may oscillate).  The following rule is thereby established: if two routers, both reachable from one another, originate functionally equivalent AS-external-LSAs (i.e., same destination, cost and non-zero forwarding address), then the LSA originated by the router having the highest OSPF Router ID is used.  The router having the lower OSPF Router ID can then flush its LSA. Flushing an LSA is discussed in Section 14.1."

Kind Regards,

Maria

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

[can't really help, sorry ]

Message was edited by: p.bevilacqua

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Julien,

Excuse me if I'm asking a stupid question but are the static routes really present in the routing table of the RTR1 and recognized as static? Also, is it possible that you have somewhere made a trivial typo on the RTR1 such as big/smallcase letters or anything similar? Are there hit counters increasing on entries of the ACL 6?

Best regards,

Peter

Thanks for your

answer.

Unfortunately, my static are valid and I can see the "matches" increased on the ACL 6.

RTR1#sh ip route static

S        xx.0.1.16/28 [1/0] via xx.18.225.1
S        xx.0.2.16/28 [1/0] via xx.18.225.1
S        xx.0.4.16/28 [1/0] via xx.18.225.1

RTR1#sh access-lists 6
Standard IP access list 6
    10 permit xx.0.0.0, wildcard bits 0.0.255.255 (15 matches)

Ju

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Julien,

two other notes:

you say same configuration on RTR1 and RTR2, but have you configured two different OSPF router-ids ? You need to use different router-ids they have to be unique.

second note: what type of area is area 1.  If area 1 were an NSSA area this behaviour with LSA generated by only one ABR/ASBR would be correct.

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094a88.shtml

Peter's note about counters of ACL 6 are a good way to see if redistribution process is finding static routes to be injected in OSPF domain.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello,

My two RID are different on RTR1 and RTR2 and I don't have any nssa area on my network, as shown below:

RTR1#sh ip ospf
Routing Process "ospf 100" with ID xx.0.18.1

[...]

Number of areas in this router is 2. 2 normal 0 stub 0 nssa

RTR2#sh ip ospf
Routing Process "ospf 100" with ID xx.0.18.2

[...]

Number of areas in this router is 2. 2 normal 0 stub 0 nssa

Thanks again...

Regards,

Ju

Hello Julien,

is this a lab or a production environment?

if it is a lab I would try to remove redistribution in RTR2 to see what RTR1 does after this change.

From all the additional commands that you have provided RTR1 should advertise its own set of O E1 type 5 LSAs matching ACL 6.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi,

It is a production environment but I have already made the following test:

I have suppressed one of the static route on RTR2 and miracle !!!  in the routers Ospf database the RTR1 LSA for this routes is appeared.

Regards,

Ju

sherryliu2002
Level 1
Level 1

I just do a test, and receive the same result just like you

First, I try to delete the static routes on R2, when I look at R1, the adv-router is changed to R1.

Then I recovery the static routes on R2, the adv-router is switched.

I try to change DC/BDC states on both routers to resolve the mystery, but fail.

Now, I wonder too......

Hi Liu,

Great, I m not alone in this curious world

I hope anyone will explain this behaviour ...

Thanks

Hello Julien,

You have a curious problem indeed. I have made a simple experiment myself - three 2691 routers connected in a row using Serial interfaces, R1, R2, and R3, all running OSPF in Area 0. The R1 and R3 had an identical static route in their routing tables and both of them have redistributed it into OSPF using the same metric type and metric as you are using. Unfortunately, for me, it worked flawlessly - both routers have originated their own LSA5 regarding this route and on all three routers, both LSA5 were present.

It might be that you have stumbled across a bug in the IOS XE on your ASR1000. It is a relatively new version of operating system for Cisco routers and I suspect there may be bugs like these present. Do you have a TAC contract with Cisco so you can have them have a closer look on what is happening?

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your test and I took note of your advice to contact Cisco Tac.

I can't open directly a case to us but I am going to forward my problem to my Cisco supplier, which can contact the Tac.

Regards,

Hello Julien,

Very well. Please keep us informed if you learn anything new about your issue. Thank you!

Best regards,

Peter

Hello Peter,

in your test that gives a familiar / expected result, what is the forwarding address in the type 5 LSA, 0.0.0.0 or that of the ip next-hop of the static route being redistributed?

I wonder if a possible explanation could be this: seeing a non-zero Forwarding address that is advertised in area 1 by suppressing one LSA for recursion RTR3 could still be able to load balance towards external destination by routing to the Forwarding Address.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080124c7d.shtml

From Julien's tests we see that RTR1 is suppressing its own LSA until RTR2's LSA is not removed. This makes me to think that RTR1 may consider RTR2's LSAs better then the locally generated for example for RTR2's higher OSPF Router-id.

Of course, it may probably be a bug of IOS XE as you have noted.

Because it is contrary to normal experience.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello Giuseppe,

In my experiment, I have redistributed a single static route that was created using a Null0 interface only - ip route 192.0.2.0 255.255.255.0 Null0. The output on the R2 (the router in the middle) is as follows:

R2#show ip ospf database external

OSPF Router with ID (10.255.255.2) (Process ID 1)

Type-5 AS External Link States

Routing Bit Set on this LSA
  LS age: 946
  Link State ID: 192.0.2.0 (External Network Number )
  Advertising Router: 10.255.255.1
  LS Seq Number: 80000006
  Checksum: 0xB5A2
  Network Mask: /24
     TOS: 0
     Forward Address: 0.0.0.0

Routing Bit Set on this LSA
  LS age: 1365
  Link State ID: 192.0.2.0 (External Network Number )
  Advertising Router: 10.255.255.3
  LS Seq Number: 80000006
  Checksum: 0xA9AC
  Network Mask: /24
     TOS: 0
     Forward Address: 0.0.0.0

You are correct, the Forward Address here is 0.0.0.0.

You have a good point and the article you have referenced is worth reading indeed. What is different in Julien's case is that one of his routers actually totally suppresses generating its own LSA. I think it is strange for a router to suppress generating its own LSA5 - I am not saying that it is not possible, it is just that I have not came across such situation yet.

Perhaps it would be helpful to see the output of the command debug ip ospf lsa-generation on Julien's routers when removing and replacing the static route in one of the router's routing tables.

Best regards,

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card