cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DIRT restore leaves blank recorded greetings

maratimer_2
Level 1
Level 1

Unity 4.2.1 with Exchange - we did a DIRT restore over the weekend and ran into a few big issues. The one remaining is that all users greetings are set to system greeting .  I have the commserver\streamfiles folder intact and am wondering if there is a tool or any automated way to re-link the users recorded greetings with the user account.

This is happening as well with all of the auto attendants, the greetings are blank so everything defaults to the "Im sorry XXXXXXX is not available right now", the standard system greeting.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi -

Sorry you had problems with your restore!!  Have you tried changing a single user in the SA from System Greeting to Personal greeting to see if the wav file is there? If that is not successful, I know you can change all users from System to Personal via Bulk Edit, but you cannot specify each unique wav file as it exists in your Stream Files directory.  You can upload by Pasting from File, using the Media Master in SA, each user's personal greeting - not fun but workable.  I have previous experience with DiRT restore and have not encountered this problem ... I might pursue with TAC or review your DiRT restore log file to see what happened, as this is unexpected behavior.

Ginger

Great tips Ginger (+5 for these)

Happy Holidays my friend

Cheers!

Rob

Hi Rob -

Merry Christmas to you and your family too!  Always good to hear from you :-)

Sincerely, Ginger

Thanks Ginger for your comments (as always)!.  Unfortunately, TAC with our team were unable to determine why this happened, as there were no errors in the restore log, and all of the recorded greetings were intact in the streamfiles folder however they were just not associated.  We ended up communicating to the users to re-record their greetings, however we had to re-record all of the call handler greetings which took a bit of time.  No resolution was provided as to why this may have happened, everything else in the restore seemed fine.   I am now rethinking our OS upgrade strategy  (which was build new OS/server and do a DIRT restore) as we can not afford for this to happen again with so many users on each box.

If anyone ever runs into this, I would appreciate hearing more about how you worked around it.  Thanks.

There wouldn't be any errors in the restore log since there's little that can go wrong with greetings - the stream files are restored en mass to the stream files folder (which sounds like it worked out ok) and the greetings table in the UnityDirDB is restored whole (no edits are made to anything in that table).  So if it was working prior to backup it should work after restore - DiRT does not go in an man handle or update a single property in that table. So the possibilities for something to go wrong here are very limited.  This is part of the advantage of "whole database" backup and restore - the vast majority of the data is left in tact.

I'd have to see what was in the stream file property in the restored database to speculate further about what may have happend.  I know back in the early days some sites would move the stream files folder around (i.e. they ran out of hard drive space post install) and this ends up causing a mish-mash of data in the greetings databse - sometimes it'd just be a file name and sometimes it'd be a fully qualified path or sometimes fully qualified paths to seperate folder destinations.  This could definitely cause issues in a restore but should be a fairly rare/unusual scenario at best.

The best I can offer is to get your backup in a zip (no messages, just the database backup - I don't even need the stream files really) out on an FTP server somewhere and I can do a restore to a system in the lab and take a look at what's in the database.  Beyond that I haven't seen anything like this in some years so I can't speculate much about what would have happened.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: