Views
Helpful
Replies

SysLog Purge Job Failing

BlueyVIII
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

The SysLog purge job in RME has recently started failing and I'm not sure why - It has run OK for over a month but started failing on Friday last week??

I've search the forums and have found that there was a bug whereby more than one SysLogDefaultPurge jobs was configured, however, this isn't the case here (see attached JPG).

The log file reports the following :--

[ Mon Dec 21  01:00:00 GMT 2009 ],INFO ,[main],Starting purge job 1002
[ Mon Dec 21  01:00:00 GMT 2009 ],INFO ,[main], Its a default purge job
[ Mon Dec 21  01:00:02 GMT 2009 ],ERROR,[main],Drop table failed:SQL Anywhere Error -210: User 'DBA' has the row in 'SYSLOG_20091105' locked 8405 42W18
[ Mon Dec 21  01:00:04 GMT 2009 ],ERROR,[main],Drop table failed:SQL Anywhere Error -210: User 'DBA' has the row in 'SYSLOG_20091107' locked 8405 42W18
[ Mon Dec 21  01:00:04 GMT 2009 ],ERROR,[main],Failed to purge syslogs
[ Mon Dec 21  01:00:05 GMT 2009 ],ERROR,[main],Purge not successful

The version of RME is 4.3.1

Any idea's?

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Try restarting Daemon Manager to release all database connections (and hopefully all locks).  Then see if the purge job runs successfully.

Thanks....I've stopped and re-started the daemon manager so will how the job goes tonight..

Stopping and re-starting the Daemon Manager seems to be a common fix to many little bugs and anomolies, are then any guidelines or good practices to how often is should take place?? Is it worth scheduling a stop/restart for once a month (or more often)??

This isn't something one should schedule.  Under most conditions, Daemon Manager can run for some time.  I would say you should not restart it unless you see an issue like this one.  That is, if something used to work, and now does not, make the restart the first part of your remediation plan.  If the problem returns, then likely the problem is not transient, and should be analyzed further.  At that point, leaving the system in a "broken" state would be good so more data can be collected.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: