cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Clocking Multiple E1 Circuits

ge.smith
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 remote sites we will refer to as site 1 and site 2. Site 1 has 2 MFT VWICS. 1 VWIC connects to an MPLS Circuit and the other  VWIC (E1 0/1/0) connects to a private (& Different carrier) Point to Point circuit that Conntects to Site 2. Site 2 has a Single VWIC and the Single Point to Point circuit. I am continually experiencing Line and Path Code errors on the Point to Point Circuit. The Telco indicates they do not provide clocking on the Point to Point Circuit. I have tried clocking this thing every which way I can think of and cannot eliminate the errors. I'm thinking the Point to Point circuit in the Site 1 router should be configured as clock source internal and in Site 2 the clock source should be line. Currently the config that seems to work best is as follows:

Site 1:

network-clock-participate wic 0
network-clock-select 1 E1 0/0/0
!

controller E1 0/0/0 (MPLS)
line-termination 75-ohm
channel-group 0 timeslots 1-31
!
controller E1 0/1/0 (Private Line)
clock source line independent
line-termination 75-ohm

!

interface Serial0/1/0:0
ip address 172.16.10.9 255.255.255.252
encapsulation ppp

Site 2:
!

controller E1 0/0/0
line-termination 75-ohm
!

interface Serial0/0/0:0
ip address 172.16.10.10 255.255.255.252
encapsulation ppp

Does anyone have any suggestions or recomendations as to how to properly clock these circuits?

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'm thinking the Point to Point circuit in the Site 1 router should be configured as clock source internal and in Site 2 the clock source should be line.

Correct. But that is not the configuration you have attached.

As I indicated "Best Config".... If I set the clock on the Point to Point Circuit in Site 1 to Internal the circuit goes in up/down state at site 1 and down/down in site 2. Here is that config:

Site 1:

no network-clock-participate wic 1

controller E1 0/0/0
line-termination 75-ohm
!
controller E1 0/1/0
clock source internal
line-termination 75-ohm

!

interface Serial0/1/0:0
ip address 172.16.10.9 255.255.255.252
encapsulation ppp

Site 2:

!

controller E1 0/0/0
line-termination 75-ohm
!

interface Serial0/0/0:0
ip address 172.16.10.10 255.255.255.252
encapsulation ppp

That kind of negates the claim by SP that they do not provide clock.

Note, not only is rare that no clock is provided on E1 circuits, but often SP answer from the first line of support without really knowing what they are talking about.

I think the errors on the circuit can be due not to clocking problem but faulty circuit, in that case you have to insist with SP even if they claim everything is OK. You can ask for a 48-hours BER test, make sure you are present in person to observe the way is conducted and the results.

So then your suggestion is to leave the config as defined in my first post? I have had the provider test this circuit several times... they insist the problem is with my equipment and suggest I replace the VWICS. It sounds to me as though I need them to remove their clocking signals from the line, is that why the circuit will not come up when the clock is set to internal?

When a circuit has problems with cisco routers, it is always the circuit fault. When that happens, you can use any clock configuration, the circuit will behave poorly anyway, as you noted. Beside, you cannot "remove" clock from a circuit, either is there, or not.

Telco will always blame the router and suggest you replace this and that, that never helped in my 20 yrs of experience in telecom, And, I never seen a faulty VWIC.

Moreover, their "test" is usually a quick one done without the customer seeing, and the firm intent to pass it and move on.

Ask for a BER test in your presence, with different test patterns. Ask the technician to show you how the test is actually done.

And stop payments until done to your satisfaction.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card