LMS 3.2 topology services not display user defined group

Answered Question
Dec 21st, 2009

CM topology services doesn't display topology view for user defined group. however the "system defined " group dispaly the topology view. this wasn't the case on old LMS 2.6 but with LMS 3.2 we have this issue. did we miss something on setup/configration?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Joe Clarke about 6 years 11 months ago

1. Yes, there is a procedure to drop the OGS tables from the cmf database, but you need to contact TAC to get this procedure.  It is rather involved.  This should be a last resort as you will lose all your user-defined groups.  However, if there is a problem with the OGS configuration in the database, this procedure will correct it.

2. Externally, there is no difference between creating groups in Campus or Common Services.  You can just use different attributes.  Internally, groups to evaluate a group created in Common Services, the CampusOGSServer sends a message to the CSOGSServer which actually evaluates the group against the DCR tables in the cmf database.  The CSOGSServer then returns a list of DCR IDs to Campus.  If those same DCR IDs are managed by Campus, then Campus will display those devices on the map, and in device selectors.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Joe Clarke Mon, 12/21/2009 - 11:21

What errors do you see when trying to launch the topology view for a user-defined group?  What application's user-defined groups are you using?

raindrop18 Mon, 12/21/2009 - 12:38

my user difned group listed under | Topology groups ->[email protected]->user defined group | first. it take a while to open the page after selecting one of "user defined group" and no error message just balnk and the top of the page normally listed (Device) (switches) (routers) all showing "0" other note. if I go to Network view -> Lan edge view -all my user defined group listed there and I can see the topology from there.

Joe Clarke Mon, 12/21/2009 - 18:12

It is not uncommon to see non-Campus user-defined groups be empty in Topology Services.  However, it sounds like this might be something different. Post a screenshot illustrating what you are seeing including the area where you say it is working inside Campus.

raindrop18 Tue, 12/22/2009 - 08:39

I have attached 2 screeenshoots.

1 - topology group directory for user defiend group name "store 3" which is blank as you see ( why is blank?)

2- Network View directory  for the same user defined group name "store 3" which listed all devicess on the group.

I still have the old LMS 2.6 all the useres defined group can be seen from topology Groups. this is the very important part for our job to see dieeferent locations topology. please let me know if any change on LMS 3.2 to create a user defined group and to see the topology from different locations.

Thanks a lot for your assistance.

Joe Clarke Tue, 12/22/2009 - 08:47

These are two different things.  The LAN Edge View is a switch cloud which you've named Store3.  The user-defined group is a rule built in Common Services which may be matching on a different set of devices.  What is the ruleset of Store3?  What devices are matched by this group in the Common Services Group Administration screen?

Nothing special needs to be done to allow you to view user-defined groups in Topology Services.  You just need to make sure that the devices being matched are managed in Campus Manager.  That is, under the layer 2 view, you see those devices.  Once that is happening, then they should be visible in the user-defined group container.

raindrop18 Tue, 12/22/2009 - 09:16

store 3 groups defiend on CS, I have atached the rule and the matched list screen shoot. the problem appears on CM side because from CM -> Admin->Groups-> and select user defiend group "store3" and click the detail -> view parent rule is empty (attached the screen shoot) also the membership detail is empty.

Joe Clarke Tue, 12/22/2009 - 10:21

It APPEARS this should be working, but you've blocked out the full hostnames in the Campus screenshot, so I cannot say for certain that the same devices being matched by the group are actually managed in Campus Manager.  I did a test here, and I am unable to reproduce.  The devices matched by my CS user-defined group are visible in Topology Services under the user-defined group container.

Post an unfiltered screenshot showing that the devices are in fact managed in Campus, and post the Java Web Start console output after viewing the contents of the Sotre3 group.

raindrop18 Tue, 12/22/2009 - 10:42

I think need to back for primary how do I know the device managed by CM? I have added and created groups on CS. all I know on the past just show up on CM topolgy that was confirm the device managed by CM. now since I couldn't see any list device on topology. how I can tell the device indeed managed by CM.

from CM -> Admin->Groups-> and select user defined group "store3" and click the detail -> view parent rule is empty (attached the screen shoot) also the membership detail is empty. is this should list all device under group "store3" ? (attache the screen shoot)

***Java Web Start console output*** 1261507023598 December 22, 2009 11:37:03 AM EC_Cw-server_AniCoreStates_1261498500770 pc00054 DistMethodTrace FilteredEventConsumer: setClassInstance : EC_Cw-server_AniCoreStates_1261498500770.ec.0, filtobj=com.cisco.nm.ani.share.events.AniEventFilter, init-state=true

Joe Clarke Tue, 12/22/2009 - 10:55

You cannot view the membership of one application's groups in another application's group administration screen.  The way to verify that a device is truly managed by Campus is to look for it in the layer 2 view or the unconnected devices view.  If it is in one of those two views, then it is managed.

You can also try testing one of the other Campus workflows to see if the devices show up there.  For example, go to Campus Manager > Reports > Report Generator, and run a Port Attributes Report.  Choose your user-defined group from the list, and see if the devices show up.  If so, then there is a problem with Topology Services.  If not, then there is most likely an issue with the CampusOGSServer.

raindrop18 Tue, 12/22/2009 - 11:26

Topology services Layer 2 veiw all the devices show up. so that confirm all devices managed by CM. however when I go to Campus Manager > Reports > Report Generator, and run a Port Attributes Report. there is no options for any user defined group. (attached screen shoot)

Joe Clarke Tue, 12/22/2009 - 11:37

Check Common Services > Device and Credentials > Device Selector Settings > Group Customization, and make sure you have User Defined Groups set to "All User Defined Groups".  You should then see a top-level User Defined Groups folder in the Campus device selectors.

raindrop18 Tue, 12/22/2009 - 13:38

Common Services > Device and Credentials > Device Selector Settings > Group Customization ---set to "All User Defined Groups". but still not seen top-level User Defined Groups folder. I am wondering any kind of service or server belongs to this function down? because couple of month ago when the first time created the user defined group, i am able to see all the devices and the topology was there. I didn't check since then and I didn't know since this thing stop working. Thanks,

Joe Clarke Tue, 12/22/2009 - 14:11

The process which is responsible for grouping in Campus Manager is CampusOGSServer.  However, I do not believe this process is down.  However, you may be running into a bug.  Post the NMSROOT/MDC/tomcat/webapps/campus/WEB-INF/lib/ctm_config.txt and NMSROOT/MDC/tomcat/webapps/WEB-INF/lib/ctm_config.txt.

raindrop18 Tue, 12/22/2009 - 14:41

I have attached the files, couldn't fine the second file...there is no such directory on my path (/MDC/tomcat/webapps/WEB-INF/lib/ctm_config.txt)

Joe Clarke Tue, 12/22/2009 - 14:56

I meant NMSROOT/MDC/tomcat/webapps/cmapps/WEB-INF/lib/ctm_config.txt.

Joe Clarke Tue, 12/22/2009 - 15:03

These look good.  Post your CampusOGSServer.log and CampusOGSClient.log.

raindrop18 Wed, 12/23/2009 - 07:38

attached log file for CampusOGSServer.log. however CampusOGSClient.log  is empty! additional Note- actually any new created user defined group no longer  show up  on topology group "user defined group container.  only the group created before this problem started show up there eventhough

as we discussed till now, didn't display the devices under thoses groups.Thanks.

Joe Clarke Wed, 12/23/2009 - 09:40

What version of the Common Services MDF do you have installed?  Post your NMSROOT/lib/classpath/com/cisco/nm/cwcs/mdf/mdfdata.xml file.

Joe Clarke Wed, 12/23/2009 - 09:52

Try upgrading your MDF to 1.36 from Common Services > Software Center > Device Update.  Select the Common Services box.

raindrop18 Sat, 01/02/2010 - 09:26

Thanks, I did upgrade MDF per your instruction but no change so far.

Joe Clarke Mon, 01/04/2010 - 09:19

I don't see any problems.  In fact, just given this log, I would think that Campus grouping is working just fine as of 1/2.  Go ahead and open a TAC Service request so some live troubleshooting can be done on this.

raindrop18 Wed, 01/06/2010 - 20:34

ok,in the mean time I have one question based on my recent observation. topology services display user defined group creating under CM. however  CS userd defined group didn't display on topology services as we discussed earlier. one step ahead even when I deleted the exisisting group from CS. or created a new group under CS. the topology services didn't show the change. that's looks to me. the communication between CS and topology services no longer exist.looks like topolgy services stack with old information.

question I have.

1st - is there any way re-initialize Cs user defined group or able to re-communicate with topology services. looks like something corrupted on CS group.

2nd - what about if I just leave CS group as it is, and re-create all my user defined group under CM - is that affecting anything. what's the difference (pros/cons) creating user-defined group under CM instead of CS?

Thanks a lot!

Correct Answer
Joe Clarke Wed, 01/06/2010 - 21:08

1. Yes, there is a procedure to drop the OGS tables from the cmf database, but you need to contact TAC to get this procedure.  It is rather involved.  This should be a last resort as you will lose all your user-defined groups.  However, if there is a problem with the OGS configuration in the database, this procedure will correct it.

2. Externally, there is no difference between creating groups in Campus or Common Services.  You can just use different attributes.  Internally, groups to evaluate a group created in Common Services, the CampusOGSServer sends a message to the CSOGSServer which actually evaluates the group against the DCR tables in the cmf database.  The CSOGSServer then returns a list of DCR IDs to Campus.  If those same DCR IDs are managed by Campus, then Campus will display those devices on the map, and in device selectors.

raindrop18 Wed, 01/06/2010 - 21:18

I think I will involve TAC to do that.in the mean time I will start create on CM new groups. I have spent enough time with this, and I don't think that much bad to recreate again. thank you so much for your time for the last couple of weeks.

raindrop18 Mon, 01/18/2010 - 08:16

Hello Mr. Clarke. I have spoke with TAC and they suggest me to re-initializing all LMS database.this doesn't make any sense just because CM database has issue and restating all LMS database.is this possible for you to see this case  SR: 613245139. Thanks.    to

Joe Clarke Mon, 01/18/2010 - 12:21

The OGS tables for Campus are stored in the Common Services cmf database.  If the cmf database is reinitialized, then all databases would need to be reinitialized.  The SR number you provided is for the SNMPv3 issue, so I'm not sure what development wants.  They may want to rule out some kind of synchronization issue.  Typically, I would just drop OGS tables, but perhaps they see a deeper problem.

raindrop18 Mon, 01/18/2010 - 12:58

I am sorry about wrong Sr# but the correct one is for this case  SR 613324901. I am really appreciated if you able to comment about this case.

Joe Clarke Mon, 01/18/2010 - 13:27

The developer assisting the the SR was out over this past weekend.  He will be available again tomorrow to continue troubleshooting.  You do not need to reinitialize the databases right now.

raindrop18 Thu, 02/11/2010 - 14:50

Hello Mr. Clarke, appears to be TAC gave up on my case and I didn't hear anything, do you have any suggestion for SR613324901. thanks a a lot

raindrop18 Wed, 03/03/2010 - 11:48

Hi Joe,

hope the case Eng. updated what happend after dropped the table. actually everthing is blanked even the top level directory including CS,RME, or DFM no longer there. and I didn't here anything from Eng. since then and couldn't hold him. the reason for this posting actually when I go to " Admin > Data Collection > Device Management > Mode And Policy Settings and on Auto allocation area I have noticed this error message on red. "Loading.... Searching.... Error in getting instance of TreeGenerator class com.cisco.nm.ani.clients.cmadmin.util.DCRGroupSelector Root Cause:com.cisco.nm.xms.ctm.common.CTMException: URN_NOT_FOUND : urn "ogs_server_urn" : Not found !! I think this may be helping you for clue. Thanks, >

Actions

This Discussion