Wireless Client not associating with strongest AP

Unanswered Question
Dec 21st, 2009

AP = AIR-LAP1131G-E-K9 

WLC = WS-C3750G-24WS-S25

Total 6 floors building, 2AP on each floor.

Problem Statement:- Eg: Wireless Clients from ground floor are associating with AP on the 3rd floor.

This happens throughout the whole building.

I would expect that ground floor clients would be connected to ground floor AP.

Is there a way to force clients on specific floors to connect to their designated floor APs?

A thorough check indicate that, ground floor AP is not congested and only a few clients are connected to it.

please advise

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Leo Laohoo Mon, 12/21/2009 - 19:33

Temporarily disable the radios of the 3rd floor AP and see if the clients associate to their respective AP.

J_Vansen_S Mon, 12/21/2009 - 19:45

Yes i have tried disabling the radio on 3rd floor.

My wireless clients associates back to ground floor AP, and some users to 2nd floor AP.

Arent clients suppose to connect to AP which is nearest & strongest signal to it?

Or is there any tuning of the WLC/AP that has to be done

Please advise

Leo Laohoo Mon, 12/21/2009 - 20:16

There are alot of reasons.  WLAN NIC card drivers and signal interference are common causes.

Leo Laohoo Tue, 12/22/2009 - 20:09

Sure.  The NICs can be specified to associate to the AP of your choice.

Mark Mattix Thu, 05/31/2012 - 09:26

I'm having a very similar issue in my network. Is it possible to force the NICs to associate with a specific AP's MAC because the other APs around are all broadcasting the same SSID.
Is there a feature in the WLC that can disassociate the client when the WLC knows there's better reception in the clients area, or forward it to the other AP?

Leo Laohoo Thu, 05/31/2012 - 15:24
I'm having a very similar issue in my network. Is it possible to force the NICs to associate with a specific AP's MAC because the other APs around are all broadcasting the same SSID.

Depends on the client wireless NIC drivers.  But unless you have a very, very old firmware this "feature" has long been abandoned by wireless NIC codes.

Is there a feature in the WLC that can disassociate the client when the WLC knows there's better reception in the clients area, or forward it to the other AP?

No.  The wireless NIC card of the client always makes the final decision on which WAPs to associate.

You can, however, try different tricks:

1.  If you are using 802.11b/g radio, disable the low data rates such as 1, 2, 5.5, 6, 9 and 11.  Make 12 as Mandatory and the rest supported.

2.  Check the firmware of the wireless NIC and see if you can upgrade it. 

David Santos Thu, 05/31/2012 - 14:09

Vansen

on the wlc please do debug client to see what is happening. Is the TPC algorithm performing right?

DS

fbarboza Sat, 06/02/2012 - 10:18

Hi,

Remmber that AP selection or roaming is a client based decisicon and not a WLC or AP option.

On the access points or WLC there is no configuration that we can set for the client to conenct to an specific AP.

All wireless clients have there own algorithm to go to select the best AP to connect to and this algorithm usualy checks, siganl to noise, RF interfirence, avialable bandwith, number of clients on the APs, etc.

The most we can do on the AP or WLC side is make sure you have deployed the access points correctly on the site so that the coverage area between each access point is not more than 15%, make sure that you have used the 3 nonoverlapping channels between the units on the 2.4ghz radio.

Eventhough the WLC has auto RRM, for auto RRM to properly work and asigne the correct channels to each access point, the correct power level we need to have more than 3 access points and that each access point can see the siganl of the other access point and that they are not to close becasue auto RRM will fail and also if they are very far apart auto RRM will not work.

Actions

This Discussion