Helpful
Replies

ebgp Connection with PIM but no MP-BGP Configuration

kfarrington
Level 3
Level 3

Hi All,

Quick one if I may.

If you run eBGP with an external AS and you want to pass multicast over from one AS to another (lets say both ASs are within my admin control), can I just run PIM on the interfaces on both ends of the eBGP connection (lets say they are directly attached) and multicast will flow through?

Or do I have to configure MP-BGP?

Many thx indeed,

Ken

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

of course you can

MP-BGP not required at all

you need MP-BGP if you have MPLS network

by the way if you want to enable bgp between tow BGP domains in diffrent AS you may need to consider MSDP for better control and security

have a look at the following document:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8293

good lcuk

if helpful rate

View solution in original post

Hi,

If your AS is already aware of the Multicast source addresses, you can have MSDP between AS and have the traffic flow between AS. But incase, you dont have or dont need unicast traffic between sources in different AS, you need MP-BGP with multicast AFI and advertise the source prefix.

This will be only used for RPF and not for unicast traffic forwarding.

HTH,

Nagendra

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

of course you can

MP-BGP not required at all

you need MP-BGP if you have MPLS network

by the way if you want to enable bgp between tow BGP domains in diffrent AS you may need to consider MSDP for better control and security

have a look at the following document:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8293

good lcuk

if helpful rate

Hi,

If your AS is already aware of the Multicast source addresses, you can have MSDP between AS and have the traffic flow between AS. But incase, you dont have or dont need unicast traffic between sources in different AS, you need MP-BGP with multicast AFI and advertise the source prefix.

This will be only used for RPF and not for unicast traffic forwarding.

HTH,

Nagendra

Many thx to all of you for the response.  This is great

Kind regards,

Ken

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco