Importing route targets

Answered Question
Dec 22nd, 2009

Dear friends,

Just to give an example, lets take vrf A (source vrf) and vrf B (destination vrf where we are saying route-target import) and let x:y be the export route-target used by vrf A.

When i say route-target import x:y in vrf B, then what exactly am i importing?

Am i importing only routes for directly connected networks on vrf A and static routes redistributed into vrf A?

What about routes that are exported from other vrf's but set with the extcommunity that matches this route-target x:y. Are they also imported?

What about the other route-targets imported into vrf A? Do they also land into vrf B?

Thanks a lot

Gautam

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Laurent Aubert about 6 years 11 months ago

Hi Gautam,

When you configure  route-target import x:y under a VRF, you actually import into the PE VPNv4 table all the VPNv4 prefixes which has one of their RT set to x:y.

To export a route, the PE needs first to add it into the VRF BGP table. So you need to redistribute those routes into the address-family ipv4 vrf sub-mode configuration. The way those routes are learned from the CE depends of the configuration: could be dynamic via BGP, OSPF,.. or static

An imported route is never exported back to the backbone.

HTH

Laurent.

Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Correct Answer
Laurent Aubert Tue, 12/22/2009 - 10:40

Hi Gautam,

When you configure  route-target import x:y under a VRF, you actually import into the PE VPNv4 table all the VPNv4 prefixes which has one of their RT set to x:y.

To export a route, the PE needs first to add it into the VRF BGP table. So you need to redistribute those routes into the address-family ipv4 vrf sub-mode configuration. The way those routes are learned from the CE depends of the configuration: could be dynamic via BGP, OSPF,.. or static

An imported route is never exported back to the backbone.

HTH

Laurent.

gautamzone Tue, 12/22/2009 - 10:44

Thanks a lot Laubert for your kind response.

Thanks and Regards

Gautam

Actions

This Discussion