Views
Helpful
Replies

Importing route targets

gautamzone
Level 1
Level 1

Dear friends,

Just to give an example, lets take vrf A (source vrf) and vrf B (destination vrf where we are saying route-target import) and let x:y be the export route-target used by vrf A.

When i say route-target import x:y in vrf B, then what exactly am i importing?

Am i importing only routes for directly connected networks on vrf A and static routes redistributed into vrf A?

What about routes that are exported from other vrf's but set with the extcommunity that matches this route-target x:y. Are they also imported?

What about the other route-targets imported into vrf A? Do they also land into vrf B?

Thanks a lot

Gautam

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Laurent Aubert
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Gautam,

When you configure  route-target import x:y under a VRF, you actually import into the PE VPNv4 table all the VPNv4 prefixes which has one of their RT set to x:y.

To export a route, the PE needs first to add it into the VRF BGP table. So you need to redistribute those routes into the address-family ipv4 vrf sub-mode configuration. The way those routes are learned from the CE depends of the configuration: could be dynamic via BGP, OSPF,.. or static

An imported route is never exported back to the backbone.

HTH

Laurent.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Laurent Aubert
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Gautam,

When you configure  route-target import x:y under a VRF, you actually import into the PE VPNv4 table all the VPNv4 prefixes which has one of their RT set to x:y.

To export a route, the PE needs first to add it into the VRF BGP table. So you need to redistribute those routes into the address-family ipv4 vrf sub-mode configuration. The way those routes are learned from the CE depends of the configuration: could be dynamic via BGP, OSPF,.. or static

An imported route is never exported back to the backbone.

HTH

Laurent.

Thanks a lot Laubert for your kind response.

Thanks and Regards

Gautam

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: