cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to configure RV042, SRW2008P, and WAP4410N so that DHCP works across multiple vlans/ssids?

ciscoadvice
Level 1
Level 1

The WAP4410N has two SSIDS, each mapped to a different VLAN.  One SSID/VLAN pair is for guest access to the Internet.  The other SSID/VLAN pair has access to other internal equipment (server, printers, etc), as well as the Internet.  How do I configure these components so that both SSID/VLAN pairs have access to the Internet (but not each other) and are both served by the DHCP function in the RV042?

I've read some documents which refers to "DHCP relay" and "ip helper-address", but it is not clear to me that this switch supports either.

Thanks

Mike

2 Replies 2

alissitz
Level 4
Level 4

Hello and good evening,

I do not have a RV042 to test with, but I do not think this router will support multiple DHCP scopes and multiple VLANs.  Perhaps another on the community can correct me.

In short, to accomplish what you want:

Create multiple VLANs on the WAP4410

Create multiple VLANs on the SRW switch

On the SRW switch, configure the port that the WAP4410 connects to as a trunk port so it can carry multiple VLANs.

Configure multiple SSIDs on the WAP4410 and associate these with the VLANs.

Use a router that supports multiple vlans.  An example might be the ISR 871, 881, etc ISR series, or if dual WAN ports are important then look to the SA520.

An alternative would be to use a switch with L3 capabilities and then you can offer multiple VLANs / L3 routing and DHCP services.

Now, to your question concerning security, you will have to create some access lists on the router or switch to restrict traffic between the VLANs.  By default the router thinks it should route between networks, however, in this case you want to restrict access.  

If you have additional requirements for your router or network, do please write back.  Kindest regards and best wishes for a great new year!!!

Andrew Lee Lissitz

Thanks for your assistance.  I was on the phone with Cisco just before seeing your reply.  They also said that I need to upgrade to a VLAN aware router, such as the RVS4000 or WRVS4400N.  I just ordered the RVS4000 and hopefully it will do the trick.

Mike